Author Topic: some non-gibson Tbirds to contribute to the gang....  (Read 4554 times)

amimbari

• View Profile
some non-gibson Tbirds to contribute to the gang....
« on: December 23, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »
newbie here folks, Tbird1958 introduced me to the board, and I wanted to say hi, and he asked me to show you a couple different non-gibsonbirds:

I do have an EpiphoneBird, among the other basses I have but everybody knows what they are  ;D

the Jackson is a 1994 TBX-pro.
the other one is a 2003 Dillion DFBB.

and just as a topic of conversation if ANYONE out here has a TBX, please let me know, so I can add you to the list of people who still own them.  ONLY 4 found in 10 years of research and looking. they only made 27 of them, so finding owners is a challenge.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: some non-gibson Tbirds to contribute to the gang....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
Cool! I love the bindings on the bird! Never seen that before! And the Rick type position markers are nice too! The headstock isn't my cup of tea, but very nice basses!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
Both very nice. No offense to your Jackson but I like the simple dot neck unbound look better.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 07:36:54 PM »

Mike,

Did the Jackson have a pickguard? Wondering how that would look with the binding........
The neck does make me think of my now departed 4001 Rick.......I miss it!   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 08:33:11 PM »
Is that Dillion's body smaller than the Jackson? Might just be the way the picture was taken, but it looks smaller to my eyes.

By the way, welcome aboard!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »
I can't figure out how to multi-quote, so forgive my singled out answers...

chrisP, the hockeystick is a turn-off for a lot of people. they would rather have the traditional ( you would have hated my BC Rich )  ;D , but it is a rare piece of failed Jackson-Japan history I hope to have around to pass onto the kids. ( Jackson also made a Jazz bass copy after the Fender buy-out ) --

DaveW, I have a bunch of Charvels with the even LARGER hockeystick head and dot markers, equally as nice for what they do and sound like, but the triangles make a statement of Ric/ESP/Jackson/Ibanez...especially from the time period.

tBird1958, no guard. it was not an option from the production catalog, this was not a customshop guitar. one of the members of TB has a pair of JackBirds, and someone did put a sparkly white guard on it. there is no "bird painted" on it, so I never liked it, nor would I add one to mine. The Dillion's guard was taken off for picture taking, but I still have it in a ziploc bag..the same with my EpiBird, I took it off also to show the grain. Here's a pic of the Dillion ISIS birdlady on the guard.

noKturnal, actually the Dillion is slightly larger than the Jackson it's a picture angle illusion.
the headstock is also slightly bigger than my Epiphone which is not an illusion.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 06:41:49 AM »
To me, all the different things about the Jackson is what makes it so cool.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
To me, all the different things about the Jackson is what makes it so cool.
although it is rare due to competition back in the day preventing the model from being successful, there are a lot of other companies that did their Tbird clones that are equally as unique to their particular manufacturing design ( gibson-vs-fenderhead-vs-point-vs-2x2head...etc.. ) I would love to have a non-holoflash Rex, among the other unique and different interpretations of a "standard" tbird bodystyles used for decades, as in Tbird1958's example of the Tokai, or a Greco, or Ibanez..etc...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 01:39:18 PM »
We used to have a thread at the Pit about non-Gibson T-birds. Maybe we could start up again here?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

Ho, Ho, Ho 'Birds....... ;)

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »
Ho, Ho, Ho 'Birds....... ;)
more like Bird-Brain  :P or BirdOnTheBrain  << ya that's more like it cause it must take a lot to keep your FLOCK happy..

you DO take em out in the sun and give them a bath every now and then don't you?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »

"you DO take em out in the sun and give them a bath every now and then don't you?"

Sadly the  Sun is beyond elusive here in Seattle.......cold and snowy, my subaru is covered in so much dirt its slowing down from the weight.

Blazer

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 05:18:42 AM »
Those are some nice basses. But you're wrong about Jackson making a Jazz bass copy after the Fender buy. Because that catalog page you posted is from way before the buy-out happened, I collect guitar catalogs and the Jazz Bass copy Jackson produced came from the late nineties 1996-1997 which was 6 years prior to Fender buying Jackson in 2002.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 06:20:15 AM »
Those are some nice basses. But you're wrong about Jackson making a Jazz bass copy after the Fender buy. Because that catalog page you posted is from way before the buy-out happened, I collect guitar catalogs and the Jazz Bass copy Jackson produced came from the late nineties 1996-1997 which was 6 years prior to Fender buying Jackson in 2002.
well I didn't look too close to the year of the catalog page---sorry...OK I'll change my statement then  ;D

look what Jackson was trying to do in the late 90's to get a few people to notice them as a Fender copy company before Fender had a piece of them...lol just like the machinegun guitar they had, that never sold...