Author Topic: Lefthanded bassplayers playing Thunderbirds.  (Read 16330 times)

amimbari

• View Profile
Re: Lefthanded bassplayers playing Thunderbirds.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
Every bass looks cool upside - down.
although I want to believe that.... I watch myself on video and even I have to laugh cause the normal fenderish looking dual horn basses I have are turned over and just SO weird it isn't cool, it is just plain weird. however if YOU think it looks cool ....thank you. ;D

the Bird's "horn" is a lot more subtle, so in that I do agree...s.u.p.e.r.c.o.o.l  8)

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
I used to play an musicmaster upside down I think it looks great. or a single cut archtop bass with the cutaway on the uperside I like it.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
I used to play an musicmaster upside down I think it looks great. or a single cut archtop bass with the cutaway on the uperside I like it.
uh-huh, "SOME" look cool flipped, not "every" one  ;) I had a generic EB/SG looking bass, and the equal length horns were always my favorite.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
Since it has been a while, I thought I would resurrect this thread with another "lefthanded tbird player" video again, since I am actually playing one of my birds this time.....

yes I SOMEDAY will have a REAL lefty-bird, but for now, it's got to stay with flipped-birds for now  ;D

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »
Hey, man! If my eyes don't deceive me, your left hands little finger is out of work! What will be next to come? What's the world coming to?  ;)

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »
Hey, man! If my eyes don't deceive me, your left hands little finger is out of work! What will be next to come? What's the world coming to?  ;)
hahaha, well it is being used...like an animal with a long tail, I use it for balancing the other 3 fingers while they are moving at near-lightspeed  :mrgreen:

I guess next speedmetal jam will have to use ALL 4 fingers??

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 02:48:34 AM »
Yep, plus thumb, palm, and elbow! Looking forward to it!!! ;)

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 07:38:20 AM »
Yep, plus thumb, palm, and elbow! Looking forward to it!!! ;)
well if you think about it, we all use our thumb and palm in our playing....in FACT the elbow does come into play on that perfect angle we all look for to comfortably hold our arms over the guitar body.

now you did forget about the wrist angle in relation to arm/elbow angle in relation to thumbs/fingers/palm angle in relation to neck shape and angle?

oh no, let's find a doctor....I think my arthritis is flaring up  :mrgreen:

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 02:01:23 AM »
There was a whole stack of left handed Thunderbirds (Tokai) on the Brit Bay and they're getting ate up quick. Did you lefties see these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-TB48-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-Left-Hand-Black_W0QQitemZ270330397845QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item270330397845
Half-speed Hawkwind

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 04:40:15 AM »
ya I saw them, as nice as they are.....but I just don't have 1/2 a grand  :-\

one of these days I'll own a REAL lefty, but for now, I just make do with the flipped guitars, since a real lefty would have the G string on the bottom, which is opposite of what I normally play, and would be confusing to go back and forth with a lefty/righty guitar......

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »
Since it has been a while, I thought I would resurrect this thread with another "lefthanded tbird player" video again, since I am actually playing one of my birds this time.....

yes I SOMEDAY will have a REAL lefty-bird, but for now, it's got to stay with flipped-birds for now  ;D

Nice video. I don't think I ever have seen anyone shred on a Tbird like that!

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »
thanks Barkless....lefty's are many now a days but....

I have yet to find another inverted amateur "BASS" player who plays this way normally/everyday, and is actually good at it...

do I gloat about being so alone, and do I appreciate being unique?

YEP :)

so let's recap:

#1 playing inverted? --insane to begin with
#2 playing a tbird inverted? -- I have ZERO neckdive issues with the button on the wing and a 2" nylon strap.
#3 ...uh, I can't swear here so let's forget about #3

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
Hey everyone. Long time lurker here, first time posting. Thought I might share my experiences with a "flipped bird" so to say. I loved the look of the Thunderbird, and always had my eye on an Epi. Determined, I would not let my being a lefty handicap me from playing it. With a little help, I had the strings flipped, the bridge intonation set for a lefty setup, and the strap button drilled into the lower wing. I don't ever plan on getting rid of it.

Old photo, but you can get an idea of what an Epi looks flipped. No, my hand doesn't hit the knobs. I only have that problem when pick playing really close to the bridge, and I don't do that anyways.

And a 90 degree jack plug works wonders so you don't hit the plug with your wrist.

This bass has served me so well, and I get every tone I could ask for from it.

Oh and a buddy commented that the Bird on the pick guard looks like he is dive bombing towards some prey (or to poop), pretty cool, or funny I think.
Are you real, Frank!?

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »
very nice dude! I think I saw you around somewhere else with that same pic somewhere.

I "should" flip the strings on my epi,  but... I'll leave that one for you  :mrgreen:

glad you finally posted, and welcome to thread of flipped birdPlayers.

even though I play my flipped rightyBird, like a rightyBird :)