Author Topic: Rotating the minibucker on your SG RI/Supreme  (Read 1339 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Rotating the minibucker on your SG RI/Supreme
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:20:09 AM »
My satin maple top SG Supreme's strings were dead so I decided to put on D'Addario Halfrounds I had lying around. And while I was at it I unscrewed the frame of the minibucker, turned it 180 degrees (the lead is ample long enough for that) and rescrewed it so that the pole screws at the side of the mini are now facing towards the neck and not the bridge (I could have also unscrewed the pup within the frame and rotated that but fidgeting with the springs seemed too much work!). The mini in this new position loses presence, but gains quite a bit of mid attack and some more bass: Playing it by itself now or together with the neck TB Plus mockbucker has the bass sound even a bit more vintage than it already does with a honky mid emphasis that is not unreminiscent of g(l)ory EB-3 days.

And it's a totally non-invasive and at anytime quickly reversible mod even an attorney can do!

I'm really proud of myself thinking of that one!  ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Rotating the minibucker on your SG RI/Supreme
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
I might try that out!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
Good idea. At least it's worth the minimal effort to see if you like the result.

But don't get carried away. Next thing you know, you'll be showing up for depositions with solder blobs under your fingernails.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »
 I have done this in the past with EB3s and other basses I have put minis in. I never really noticed much difference but it made me feel better. ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird