Author Topic: Well I guess it was only a matter of time...  (Read 4553 times)

JTE

• View Profile
Re: Well I guess it was only a matter of time...
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
I hate that finish- It reminds me of the absolute worst Fender instrument I ever had contact with- an Antigua Jazz Bass that was so bad, that when thieves broke into our store and stole a bunch of stuff, the Antigua Jazz bass was left in the lot behind the store.  It was so bad no one would even STEAL it!!

However, I'm a big fan of Clapton.  I quite admire how he consciusly moved away from being a "guitar god" to being a musician.  And he still puts out those "make the audience cry with one note" solos, even on bad songs.  I saw a "Saturday Night Live" performance of "Wondeful Tonight" where the solo was just exquisite.

He did have a long period of artistic confusion, caused as much by his management, as by his substance abuse (he was an alcoholic for a LONG time after he gave up smack).   But the critical factor is that he is NOT (even though many of his fans are) trapped in 1967.   Compare LZ' reunion with Cream's.  Cream came out and didn't attempt to recreate the early days- they came out to play music with old friends for the same reasons they got together (before fame and adulation ruined the music) in the first place.

LZ tried to be like they were when they were young and vital, but they weren't.

jte
Without space, music is just noise piling up on itself

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 03:04:31 AM »
If you buy one, does that entitle you to coast on your reputation for 30 years?  :P

I'm waiting for the EC  Les Paul sig guitar. It sounded and played better than the Strat IMHO.

And in reference to his post Guitar God era JJ Cale must be mentioned.  Personally I dont think he should ever have done Escondido with Cale. Its kind of like a plain looking girl who looks OK by herself standing next to a gorgeous looking girl. Suddenly she looks downright ugly...... like that strat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:10:20 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

Rocker949

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »
I hate that finish- It reminds me of the absolute worst Fender instrument I ever had contact with- an Antigua Jazz Bass that was so bad, that when thieves broke into our store and stole a bunch of stuff, the Antigua Jazz bass was left in the lot behind the store.  It was so bad no one would even STEAL it!!

However, I'm a big fan of Clapton.  I quite admire how he consciusly moved away from being a "guitar god" to being a musician.  And he still puts out those "make the audience cry with one note" solos, even on bad songs.  I saw a "Saturday Night Live" performance of "Wondeful Tonight" where the solo was just exquisite.

He did have a long period of artistic confusion, caused as much by his management, as by his substance abuse (he was an alcoholic for a LONG time after he gave up smack).   But the critical factor is that he is NOT (even though many of his fans are) trapped in 1967.   Compare LZ' reunion with Cream's.  Cream came out and didn't attempt to recreate the early days- they came out to play music with old friends for the same reasons they got together (before fame and adulation ruined the music) in the first place.

LZ tried to be like they were when they were young and vital, but they weren't.

jte

This all makes a lot of sense and I agree with most of it.  But I don't know exactly what would be meant by being trapped in 1967.  I feel that Cream's music is transcendent.  I like Clapton's sound in Cream because it sounded better than his solo work.  I don't feel it really has anything to do with time periods.  When I think of someone trapped in the 60s, I automatically think of the father of a friend who listens to Beatles songs all the time and talks about that constantly.  He doesn't seem to realize that there was any music beyond 1970.  I just think it's inaccurate to label people as being trapped in the past because they don't like Clapton's solo work.  That's the point.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:59:23 PM by Rocker949 »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 07:08:38 AM »
Clapton was at his best when he was inspired by Hendrix & Duane.
After they checked out Eric lost it.
He's had a few good moments since, but nothin' close to his glory days.
Dave's comment made me laff like hell. hahaa
That ax is FUGLY.
Coool how Eric sold so many of his famous guitars to raise millions for the rehab center that saved him.