Author Topic: Natural Blonde?  (Read 2046 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Natural Blonde?
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:02:24 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blonde-1959-Gibson-EB2N-EB2-Electric-Bass-Guitar-EC_W0QQitemZ160206381047QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just a little pricey for a refin?

I thought we learned from Kevbo that the sticker has to have a "N" after the model number?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Blonde?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:21:30 AM »
Good question. No one in his right mind can rule out that an Gibson employee might have forgotten the telltale N when stamping the sticker, but something on that particular blond looks not quite right. I guess I would expect more crazing.

I'm still looking for one of those (banjo headstock EB-2s), but that price is "ein Mondpreis", he wants to sell it at almost twice the price of my (pristine) EB-6!!!  :o

PS: John, is that you pretending to be a coke machine? That is how you prey upon and finally catch those large cats to then do whatever  :'( :'( :'( you do with them? 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:27:11 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:28:16 AM »
Nothing is what it seems is it?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:57:25 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D I rest my case!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:37:18 AM »
just say no to William Wegman.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:43:48 AM »

I'm glad in this case that I can resist.........20k? Wow!  For me the real downside of that bass would be that I'd want to take out and play it.......which would obviously decrease its value quickly. For me, if I'm buying it at all, I need the bass to go to a show......... 

"PS: John, is that you pretending to be a coke machine? That is how you prey upon and finally catch those large cats to then do whatever     you do with them?"

You don't suppose it could have anything to do with having a coin slot...... 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
Could just be the lighting that makes the color look not quite right. Could be a forgotten N suffix. At anywhere near that price, I'd want an independent expert to look at it.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »
We have evolved well beyond that

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »

Is that Gigantor?  Poor old fugger......................
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 12:37:36 PM »
That looks just like my old one, from which I derive my handle.  The N for natural was always hand-written in a grease pencil type of thing, so the regular EB2 stamp would have the "N" after it.  It is very probable that they did not bother trying to reach in and do it if they forgot to before they stuck it inside.  There is nothing about that one that leads me to suggest it is refinned or stripped.  In fact, just the opposite - if it had been a burst it would not look that clear at all.  Mine had not a speck of checking at all.  I even bought it on a chilly day too, for all of $150, so if I couldn't craze the finish nothing seems out of sorts there.  It gives me passion to gaze upon it.  And its original case, all pink inside.  Well, enough of that.

$20g's is freaking bathouse for a bass that has such limited demand though.  No Gibson fan would want one (of 6 made that year, if I am not mistaken) to the extent that they would spend a dollar figure comparable to a vintage custom colored Jazz or P, which will always have stronger resale.  Penny wise, Euro foolish.  But what would be resonable?  A couple of years ago I would have thought $3k.  Now, I am not sure.  I would imagine less than $10k.  These things do well until they cross over the line of making someone ask "How much reverse or non reverse Tbird can I buy for that much?", or "How many Jack Bruce type EB3s can I buy?"  In each case you would have an answer that would make more $ sense than that.  Unless you really love the Flamingos bass player.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.