Author Topic: 60s NR TB restoration  (Read 15630 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: 60s NR TB restoration
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »
Thanks Uwe!  It's probably the only way I'd ever be able to afford one!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
So what? My TB IV NR is a refinned resurrection too - it had the nastiest neck and body-neck-joint break imaginable, all "repaired" with superglue ... a reall mess. Putting something like that into a playable and viewable state again is saintly.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:30:22 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
Oh yeah Uwe, very nice results!  I'm hoping for another NR basket case to come across my path someday.  I'd love to tackle another one!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 05:34:36 PM »
There's no way to say it other than the RR nitro is delicate, if not the most delicate nitro around.

If you could use up an entire gallon of McFaddens you could use RR for the colors and overcoat with the McFaddens clear.  This might get you more durable finish.  You could probably shoot two or three dozen basses with a gallon of laquer though - thats a lot of birds.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 04:21:04 AM »
Mine was a defretted turd brown refin one that Jake found for me at Capsule Music back when Canadian money got you more. It was $1300 Canadian, which was about $1100 US. They refretted it for $200 US!

No headstock breaks, but was missing the pickup ashtray.

I Reranched it Cardinal red.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 04:23:03 AM »
Fertig'd

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »
Yep, that Cardinal Red NR is one of my favorites.  Turned out really nice!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »
That is one great restoration. I like that cream look. I suppose the size of the pickguard on the non rev's contribute to the better looks with one pickup.
The bridge pickup on a non rev IV looks kind of squeezed in. Uwe's and John's restorations are mighty nice also.

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2008, 09:28:13 AM »
     Your Bird is truly a 'brought back from the dead' story. I watched the total progress over at the Reranch forum and it really took a lot of skill (not to mention big balls) to pull that off.  We really have a lot of talented people here! BTW, glad you are pleased with the way the pickup sounds.  I'll post a shot of my Frost Blue '67 IV clone as soon as I get my pix swapped over to my new computer.
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
Old men need to "tinker"

Welcome aboard Tony!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »
     Your Bird is truly a 'brought back from the dead' story. I watched the total progress over at the Reranch forum and it really took a lot of skill (not to mention big balls) to pull that off.  We really have a lot of talented people here! BTW, glad you are pleased with the way the pickup sounds.  I'll post a shot of my Frost Blue '67 IV clone as soon as I get my pix swapped over to my new computer.

Yeah, thanks Tony and welcome.  Your cover worked out really well.  The other two I bought from you are at SD now having TB innards installed for my 2003 TB project.  Looking forward to seeing your IV clone!  Stay for awhile, this is gonna be a great place to hang out.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
That is one great restoration. I like that cream look. I suppose the size of the pickguard on the non rev's contribute to the better looks with one pickup.
The bridge pickup on a non rev IV looks kind of squeezed in. Uwe's and John's restorations are mighty nice also.

I think the pickguard on a NR bass is a big part of its "charm" or attractiveness now.  When it came out it was probably not appreciated as just being too modern or goofy looking.  Now, I look at it and realize it's a great artistic design that really completes the "look."  I love 'em although as a kid inthe 60s I never would have played a Gibson!!! How ironic since now I wouldn't play a Fender!  My how we change!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »
Old men need to "tinker"

Welcome aboard Tony!

Hey!  Who you calling old!?!  :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »
All right, you youngsters!  ;D

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »
    I managed to get the shot of the Frost Bird on my avatar but still need to figure out how to post pix on the site.  Actually, I've been into creating 60's Fender bass relics lately. Lotsa fun!  That is until another Bird project comes into my life. The last one I did was a total resto on a '64 IV in Polaris white. Kinda getting the itch to do another Bird.  The one you did was just a tad over my skill level! Once again, INCREDIBLE WORK!!!!   And thanks for the warm welcome!
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!