Author Topic: Sam Ash carrying Phil Jones amps?  (Read 5383 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Sam Ash carrying Phil Jones amps?
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »
My local Sam Ash now has the small Phil Jones amps in stock.  I decided to give the Suitcase a spin at lunch today.  First, I tried a used Allen Woody Epiphone bass.  Didn't care for it, but this bass was pretty bad.  It looked nice, but the bridge was sitting higher off the body than an entrance ramp on an Indiana freeway.
Next, I tried a Sting sig bass.  I gotta say, it was pretty sweet.  Even only 1/3 of the way up, the amp sounded just great all the way up the neck.  Nice, distinct notes.

Let's see...I can get rid of one of the Ashdowns....
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Sam Ash carrying Phil Jones amps?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »
I'll have to check one out next time I go to the San Antonio Sam Ash. Now if they would only set up at least a few of their basses...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
are those the ones with lots of little speakers?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
Them's the ones.  I tell you - I've heard about them, and read about the science behind the 5" drivers.  Having just dinked around for 5 minutes, I can say that it's no lie.  Nice full tone - no farty 10" sound on these little babies.

Now I have to start saving up for the M-500 head and a Pirhana 9B bottom with a 6T on top.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »

Let's see...I can get rid of one of the Ashdowns....

One of the Ashdowns? How many Ashdowns does one need?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »
One of the Ashdowns? How many Ashdowns does one need?

Well, I've had the MAG-200-115 combo for a while.  I picked up a used ABM EVO-500-115 this summer.  I've played through it before at gigs, but not recently.  I got it from someone I knew at a good price.

Then, there's the Phil Jones Bass Buddy, feeding a Crown UT-2020 and 1x15 JBL cab.

I don't know when I started collecting amps.  It's not like I planned on it.

Oh, my son has my old Crate BX-100.  I still like that amp, too.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
I have just one Ashdown, an ABM 115 that I use at our rehearsal basement with a GK 250 head, but that speaker sounds good with any head I've tried.

Collecting amps? I'm not a collector but I have a rig for gigging, one for practices, and one for home practice. No, I don't collect them. I just hate to transport them.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:58:45 PM »
I used to have an Ashdown MAG300 as back up amp. I quite liked it, though it wasn't entirely my sound. I sold it, but I need a spae amp. I bought a 70s Kustom for 50 euros which is like 75 dollars. Just as a back up and it sounds quite nice. I believe it's called something like Kustom Bass III.

My main amp is an Orange AD200B.