Author Topic: Flying V Turns 50  (Read 19622 times)

HornetAMX

Re: Flying V Turns 50
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »
We can't forget Lonnie Mack!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 05:00:26 AM »
Pretty impressive. I just wonder why Dad got him a Gibson instead of a Fender.  :P

How you misjudge me! Dad took son to guitarshop and let him play various guitars (Tele, which he didn't like, Les Paul Studio, SG Faded, Strat and only eventually the Flying V). If truth be told I thought he sounded best on the Strat initially and he was kind of torn between the Strat and the Les Paul. When we were just about to leave, still undecided about what Christmas purchase to make, he saw the triple pup faded Flying V hanging on the wall and wanted to give that a try ... he felt immediately at home on it and loved the - Dad's genes I guess  :-[ - upper register accessability it has. I thought it sounded great right from the start, creamy and full of sustain, but not as massive as the Les Paul especially as regards rhythm work (you don't see a lot of LP players as rhythm guitarists, I think there is a reason for that). Thinking that this kid will now go through a  few years of overplaying rather than underplaying, I felt his present and future band mates would appreciate it if he played with a sound that left a little more room for them!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 10:07:38 AM »
We can't forget Lonnie Mack!

I wonder if his brittle tone has to do with the Bigsby? That thing has never been noted as a sustain giver.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »
Brittle? Doesn't sound brittle to me, or lacking in sustain. Maybe my hearing of it is colored by his original hit recordings.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
It just sounds twangy to me, not in a bad way. But with my eyes closed I'd never dream think this was a V, my guess would be a Tele. That's because my hearing is impaired by all those Flying V hard rock guitarists that have fed their axe through 50 and 100 watt Marshalls! What did you say again?  :D :D

Uwe

Johnny Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2008, 04:49:33 PM »
Our guitarist has one that comes out sometimes and sometimes happened Saturday for a few tunes.
The primary thing we both notice about them(the 1960's ones), besides the Andy Powell WB-Ash sound, is the ease at which they provide a ghostly-sounding and controllable feedback.
If you are truly interested in the truth, start by turning off the television.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 03:50:42 AM »
Yes, I notice that on my son's faded V too, very susceptible to feedback, but in a good, controllable and musical way. Probably has something to do with those elongated mahogany body wings and their tendency to vibrate.

Uwe

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 10:00:13 AM »
That reminds me of a university audio science experiment from a few years ago that was partially funded by Gibson. I don't know if it's still online, but they studied vibration modes in some guitars and the V (and maybe Explorer) had noticeably different patterns from a Les Paul shape.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 01:26:28 PM »
I was always captivated by this monster V

I love that bass. It reminds me of this mid 70s number that was featured in guitar player adverts. Never really found out what it is