Author Topic: Great score on a reissue SG Bass  (Read 5596 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Great score on a reissue SG Bass
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 05:57:40 AM »
I never heard how Jules likes his Blue boy?

I have a question for Uwe- Do you notice a difference in sound from the Tequila sunrise and the natural flame maple SG, or do they sound identical?

I 'm going to have to get one now and Work it out somehow?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »
Both sound similar, but the Tequila Sunrise/Fireburst is a bit more "there" which I,  needless to say, solely attribute to the difference in the fins ... :o, I meant to say the strings on the Tequila are still fresher.

Compared to the SG RI, they both have a certain "boney" characteristic that mixes with the mahogany warmth and makes them even more versatile.

I make a bet right here and now that if you buy an SG Supreme you will not bring it over you to pluck it apart for your white Pitbull equipped resurrection. You will be converted. Amen.

Uwe

PS: Overall, the Supreme Satin Fin looks more valuable and tasteful than the garish Tequila even though the latter's fin is well applied. But it does have a bit of a lollypop.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »
make a bet right here and now that if you buy an SG Supreme you will not bring it over you to pluck it apart for your white Pitbull equipped resurrection. You will be converted. Amen.

I think you are right, I'm sure that the Sg Reissue would just be another color for the Gibson sonic palette. Although I have a Kahler sitting here unattached to a bass.

I should have just snagged the bass instead of figuring out how to pay for it & clearing it with the boss. You snooze, you loose.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 08:24:03 AM »
The Kahler on a short scale - less tension - does of course offer new dimensions ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
You can go the other way you know?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »
I should have just snagged the bass instead of figuring out how to pay for it & clearing it with the boss. You snooze, you loose.

You might have noticed this already, but there have been a few of these up from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-Supreme-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ280198181367QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280198181367

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-Supreme-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ320214453645QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320214453645

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-Supreme-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ320214039340QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320214039340

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-Supreme-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ260208371118QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260208371118

Maybe send him a message and see if he will list another one for you to BIN!

If you are seriously considering transplanting the guts from your white EB, selling the remainder of it would probably offset a lot of the cost of the SG (you know how project guitars always seem to get bid up on Ebay).  If you are like me, however, you'll probably find reasons to justify keeping both basses :)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »
I agree with Uwe, Why not have two basses instead of combining them into one?

I will at least have to try it out for a while to see if I really like it, before I did anything to it. Also I PM'd him and he said he might be getting some more in.

$699 is hard to pass up for a limited edition bass that cost less than the basement budget faded (Which I still like in cherry)

This is what I really wanted to do-

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:30:50 AM by Barklessdog »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 07:10:50 AM »
Are you able to get the action really low on them with the three point?

is this a new Short scale three point bridge?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 07:32:16 AM »
No worries there, there is plenty of room. If you screwed the 3 point all the way down on an SG RI, the strings would be dangling on the fretboard. They adjusted fretboard height and bridge height just right, something that has not been true for all three point equipped basses in the past, both my Blackbird and my LP Sig were misaligned in that sense.

Uwe
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:11:50 PM by uwe »

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the SG Supreme for $699! I sniped one last night. Woohoo!!!!
I just noticed that Musician's Friend is clearing out the Canary Yellow and Coral Pink one's: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Reissue-4String-Bass?sku=517540

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 05:39:22 PM »
Congratulations on snagging one! I keep thinking about it since the maple should give it more punch than an all mahogany short scale. Maybe. Just maybe.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »
 I am dying for a white SG RI the 929 BIN is tempting me but I still have a Hiwatt deal in the wings. To be honest I never should have bought that Jazz bass, no matter what I do I just can't make it work, beautiful piece of work though.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »
Congratulations on snagging one! I keep thinking about it since the maple should give it more punch than an all mahogany short scale. Maybe. Just maybe.

Thanks, Dave. I can't wait to play it. I ran into some financial trouble last year and had to sell my heritage cherry SG. I missed it immediately.
Now I need to sell something. My Greco T-Bird isn't getting a lot of love, so it's probably going to be next on the chopping block.
I'll post my opinion of how it compares to my old SG.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »

Course it does. It's not just a maple veneer, but half the body is (sandwich) maple, so the SG Supreme has audibly more cut and focus than an SG RI. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I realize that. But I'm still on the fence.