Author Topic: Intresting Opinion  (Read 2085 times)

Muzikman7

• View Profile
Intresting Opinion
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Tony

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Intresting Opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »
If you look past the crotchety old coot tone, he's basically correct about a lot of it. That doesn't change the fact that there are lots of guys with the scratch and the willingness to fork out the big bucks for a P bass made the year they were born (hell, I'd like one too. 1965, please with JUN05 on the butt of the neck  ;D). And as much as I like the look of vintage instruments, I am a believer in the idea that a brand new Strat with the same specs will sound just as killer in the hands of David Gilmour as any '58...

Actually, I might even have a way to test some of the guys theories in a little while. Those Bach NR 'birds should be ready before too long. I have an original pickup I'll be putting in one and I'll put a Duncan repro in another. I'm thinking they're gonna sound just as good as the white '68 I had to sell last year (OK, I'm hoping they will).  :D  I'll post the results when I know.

Thanks for the heads up, Tony.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:20:33 PM »
The store that sold it to you will tell you it was a consignment item, that they never owned it and they were just selling it for a guy named Dick Gozinya and then they will give you a P.O. Box in Biloxi, Mississippi and a cell phone number that was disconnected two years ago. If  grandma was alive, she'd be bitch slapping your stupid ass all over the back seat of the car you're living in.

I like this guy already!  It will be interesting to watch how his sale goes.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »
Well, he makes some valid points, but in the end an item is worth exactly what someone's willing to pay for it.And from the tone of the comments, he's preaching to the already-converted. He's not going to change anyone's mind.

I'm suspicious of his motives, though. He's trying to sell a "1952 Vintage Fender Telecaster" with no further description and three poor photos. Why doesn't he make it clear in the item description that it's a reissue? Is it an American Vintage or a MIJ? Sounds to me like he's using his anti-vintage monologue to distract from the fact that he's not giving an upfront description of what he's selling.

Max Soren

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
I also think something is rotten in the state of Denmark.  After writing such an anti-vintage essay, why not at least go to a little trouble and describe the item you're trying to sell in some detail? 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »
why not at least go to a little trouble and describe the item you're trying to sell in some detail?

Yeah, whats the point of all this?

To prove people suckers?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:01 AM »
The item's non-desription is strange. And the anti-vintage diatribe grates after a while though I agree with a lot of it.

Ritchie Blackmore, a composer of Japanese film scores, said it all (on the subject of pre-CBS Fender Strats): "They made good and bad guitars back then just like they make good and bad guitars now."

And I really do think that in 30 years from now a lot of my nineties and current basses will probably sound better than some of my sixties "treasures" today.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...