Author Topic: My Fenders  (Read 9600 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: My Fenders
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »
OH MY GOD !  Say it ain't so. Seriously the Music Man has to go. Nothing wrong with a Fender.......................................took me over 30 years to say that but if the worked for Entwhistle and Jamerson there must be something to them. Here's my '74. As usual Uwe nice basses!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »
Actually, all my Fenders sound great whether its the MIM sixties Jazz reissue in lilac, the Sting (I love that singlecoil sound, it's so sweet and pure with a pick) or the eighties RI of a 62 P in fiesta (?) red (I never know whether that is fiesta or some kind of orange). Unfortunately, the trussrod on the 62 P Bass RI just broke - it was always kind of stubborn and it had more work to do than usual due to a warp in the neck (possibly the fact that I had it strung with D'Addario chromes in 110 gauge didn't help either).

Of course I will let it get repaired, but I'm thinking of putting on a fretless board - that bass sounds so nice it be great as a fretless. Would you Fenderistas consider that a damnation-worthy sacrilege? I'm not planning on selling it ever.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »
If there was sacrilege involved, they wouldn't un-screw.  Put a fretless on there, fix the trussrod, keep it in a box for later.

If I were to find a bag of million dollar bills, my Fender collection would be very large.  I still need a Coronado and a Mustang.    And a Bass V.

The 80s Fiesta red looks kind of like Campbell's Tomato soup.  That what you have there. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
I took the Bettie Page out last week-end, and got a chance to hear how it sounded.  The Lollar pickup has a very nice angry growl to it.  I could feel the thump on that 35" scale E, and got a few comments on the sound.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »
a lot of people know my basses, so I'm not too concerned about theft. I've taken pictures of everything and on the back I have serial numbers and a brief description of each bass

Not being terrified is good, but I think that is a stretch of faith.  Doing all that AND insuring them will cover your loss, if that ever happens.  I appreciate that a walk-in vintage instrument will probably get the radar going off if you are well-known in your area.  But I strongly advise insurance.  It is the only way to get some compensation if something happens, especially theft.  In every shady part of the world there are guys who let it be known that they buy guitars - that is reality today.  They love vintage Fenders, and they know how to swap parts, especially neck plates, and make things disappear from a police report perspective.  And there are lots of well-heeled buyers who are happy to not ask questions.  So chances are that if your instrument gets snagged it probably will not go to a used/vintage dealer, but it may be getting dragged to pawn shops in your area, and an honest pawnbroker (think about that) will call a cop.  Or they will go hang somewhere and ask who buys music stuff, and get an answer.  But the reality is it will be several states or countries away from you within days, and probably transformed.

I first heard of pulling Fender neck plates and pots from Jaguars/Coronados/Duosonics/etc, and fixing Strats, Teles, Jazzes with them, about 20 years ago from a pawnbroker.  Food for thought, but again I talk too much on the down side.  More pics! 
                                                                                                 I guess I should have added insurance to my statement, along with insurance I have photos & serial numbers
Tony

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 10:12:04 AM »
My '78
Tony

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »
My '78 Root Beer P with DiMarzios, Grover tuners and a Badass II...

My '81 J.  Stock except for the tort guard and strings...

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 01:59:44 AM »
Hm, pink/orange-ish tomatosoup, it doesn`t sound too inviting...
A fretless neck would be great.