Author Topic: Repacement J pups ?  (Read 3535 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Repacement J pups ?
« on: January 31, 2008, 05:14:04 AM »
  Well it didn't take me long to decide that the stock pups in my new J bass are not for me. I would like opinions on replacement pups. I want something with more out put and a blurrier sound. I am considering the usual suspects, Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan etc. I like Dimarzio pickups alot and have used them on many basses over the years I am particuraly interested in hearing about how their Js sound. Thanks in advance, Scott
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Repacement J pups ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:16:08 PM »
I love Duncans and Bill Lawrence (if they even make a J anymore).  Maybe a 1/4# Duncan would be beefy.  I never warmed up to DiMarzios, as they tend to have a "grindy" overtone to my ear.  But if you like that, that may be the best bet.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:35:21 AM »
I have heard some good words for those guys:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsjbprojaba.html

They're kinda high output (for fenders) at 10k each, plus they are dirt cheap (60$ for the pair).

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:03:25 AM »
 Thanks for the input guys, I forgot I have a set of Dimarzio Js waiting for another project so I installed one in the neck position, I like it already ! The real test will be at rehersal with the band and on tape. It has that Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm looking for, Nice blurred singing notes opposed  to the more sticato attack of stock J pups.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:01:02 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 02:01:10 AM »
Glad you found a solution, Scott. I hope it works out with the Dimarzios. Then you don't have to spend any more money!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:21:14 AM »
 Well I am still trying to unlock the secrets of the Jazz bass. I sent the '62RI back for finish problems and am left with the '08 American standard. The Dimarzio didn't cut it in the band mix it sounded to grunty. Soooooo I ordered up a Seymour Duncan Hot for J bass neck position. Whoooooooooooooooa ! What a difference ! Lots of mid and sparkle with underlying warmth  yet still tight and foucused. Notes on the D and G string from first to seventh fret Jump right out, always a problem area for me with Fenders. Upper register just sings. I left rehersal really liking my '08 J. I still really want a RI for the ZEPPILIN set BUT I have a deal on a 70's Hiwatt DR201 that has been on again off again, it's now on and I have to take care of that before I go buying anything else. I can't say enough about SD pickups, I have always been a Dimarzio man, would you belive this is the first SD I ever bought ?

sirbassalot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
There's a  linear humbucker jazz  replacement made by Fralin in the past and I think still made by Duncan. Best choice if you want to fatten up the tone.  Under the cover the pup is split side by side like a P bass just next to each other.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:38:45 AM »
You might also want to look at Lollar pickups.  I've had a custom built Lollar in my EB-1 project, and just used his Precision pickup in my fan fret bass.  Both have been great sounding.

www.lollarguitars.com

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »
www.lollarguitars.com

Love the letter of appreciation on his homepage  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile