Author Topic: And look at this odd Fender!  (Read 1985 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: And look at this odd Fender!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »
I think that's a fake. The Musiclanders/Swingers were only made in 1969 and the pickup was a neck pickup.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 06:02:29 AM »
I think that's a fake. The Musiclanders/Swingers were only made in 1969 and the pickup was a neck pickup.

That makes sense. It looks too bizarre to be '50s but I'd totally believe late '60s.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:18 AM »
It's been up before. Some say modified Duo Sonic. Here's a story included also:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/a-1956-fender-musiclander-on-ebay.1225280/

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
It's been up before. Some say modified Duo Sonic. Here's a story included also:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/a-1956-fender-musiclander-on-ebay.1225280/

That's very likely what it is. I was going to say that I've never seen a pic of one with a Musiclander label, only Swinger, and that was only on some of them. I never even heard the name Musiclander until a few years ago.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
From memory these were called the 'Arrow' as well. No way that a design devised in the CBS era to use up unused Bass V stock was somehow prototyped in the pre-CBS era. If you must fake this stuff, at least come up with a convincing back story.

The guitarist in my old band had one of these:

A tiny wee worn out guitar, that needed a bridge pickup. It had one nasal tone, and that was it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »
I played one of the new MIM Duo Sonics. Not impressed with the tone at all. The appearance has a retro appeal to some people, that's about it.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:21 AM »
From memory these were called the 'Arrow' as well. No way that a design devised in the CBS era to use up unused Bass V stock was somehow prototyped in the pre-CBS era. If you must fake this stuff, at least come up with a convincing back story.

The guitarist in my old band had one of these:

A tiny wee worn out guitar, that needed a bridge pickup. It had one nasal tone, and that was it.

The guitarist in my old band had a 70s Bronco - essentially the same but with a weirdo bridge not used on any other model and a single bridge pup; the other half of a Duo-Sonic.  It was such a wonderful instrument.  Made me realise that maybe I'm a 1 pup kinda guy; bassers at the neck and guitards at the bridge and we all stay out of each other's way.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)