Author Topic: 53 EB Day  (Read 2600 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
53 EB Day
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »
Iv always wanted one of these and couldn't believe it when it popped up on Guitar Centers site last week at a great price. According to them it came in from a construction worker who was gutting a building before it was razed.  It was left in the basement in a pile of stuff that mostly got thrown in a dumpster.  Luckily he decided to make a buck off it rather that throw it in too.

The case hadn't been opened in at least 30 years I'd bet.  As you can see the metal bits were fairly corroded and case was covered in a light mildew.  Unfortunately no post, instead the case contained all the last owners tools, fuses, notes, some rusty razor blades, tape and cable that was being consumed by growing green grime.

As far as the bass itself it was well played but also cared for.  Some buckle rash through the finish but the frets don't show a bit of wear from the rotosounds it had on it.  Two of the tuners are missing the plastic buttons but the owner had a nifty little key that could be used to turn the bare posts.  The output jack plate had been replaced with a piece of white plastic that was spray painted brown. It crumbled to pieces when I tried to remove it.  The great thing is the pickup is in perfect condition and the original electronics all worked great after a little cleanup.

The bass was built prior to the introduction serial numbers in 1953 so with the help of some early LP gurus we were able to estimate that it was probably assembled in sometime in March/April.  Unlike the later models with inlay logos these early ones got the same silkscreen logo (with the dot connected to the G) that various acoustics got.

& After about 6-7 hours of inspection, cleanup, testing and tuning it's back to its former glory...Minus two peg buttons and post...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:50:28 PM by 66Atlas »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 53 EB Day
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:29:05 PM »
Wow! :o :o :o What a score and what a story! Congratulations!

What city did it come from?

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
Great find!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
Unbelievable! Beautiful for a 65 year old bass! On my '59 EB-2, I bought four original Firebird tuners & stole the nickel knobs off of them. I seem to recall having to remove a bit of material off of the post, but they worked great & did a better job of stabilizing the tuner than the old plastic knobs did.   
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »
Holy crap, that's amazing!!!! Congrats on the great score!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »
Wow ! Sweet !
Louder bass!.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »
Fantastic find. Glad to hear a rare bass was pulled from the brink of disaster and brought to a loving home. Any preference for you between this bass and your EB-0 either way?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
Great story!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 12:34:08 AM »
Wow, what a great find! Looks beautiful!

Remember, there are knobs/buttons for firebird (both metal and plastic) for firebird/kluson keys sold on ebay separately.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 08:18:16 AM »
Great story, great find. Sweet bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
Score!  Lovely fat ass coil.  That the same as the DC EB0's?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
Envy! Envy! Envy!
Love her
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
Great story!!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
Score!  Lovely fat ass coil.  That the same as the DC EB0's?

The single coil never made it to the first EB-0’s. The ‘58 & early ‘59 EB-2’s had the massive single coil pickup, then the coil was split in two to make the first mudbuckers. The pole pieces were moved from the outer edge to the center of the pickup but the cover was still bakelight.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »
Thanks guys, it really is a incredible bass and I couldn't be happier with it!  :thumbsup:

I'd say the pickup is fuller sounding than the mudbucker in the ebo, surprisingly rich and clean.  It came through a store in the Pittsburgh area, it would be interesting to know what else they pulled out of that basement. I wouldn't be shocked learn that the original post was one of the things pitched since I doubt they would have realized it went with bass.  I've got some tuners on the way to serve as donors for their buttons and I may try making a post just for the fun of it-from the pictures they don't seem too complicated