Author Topic: Craigslist transaction  (Read 1003 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Craigslist transaction
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »

66Atlas

• View Profile
Re: Craigslist transaction
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »
Yep, pretty much like that every time for me  ;D  I'm not sure what I'm more nervous about, having the money or having the product.  Either way I always feel like I'm going to get robbed and always ends in a happy exchange.  Our local police department has a section of their parking lot set aside for "Safer transactions" but its not as much fun without the adrenaline rush.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »
I've had good luck buying stuff on CL. Selling things on CL is a different matter although when I recently sold my '79 Powerwagon it went well, with little BS.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:23:14 PM »
Never had any problems with Craigslist transactions. Maybe it's my sales background, but I'm ok with both sides. I have done some deals at home, but only when I'm selling something I can't move easily. I do think it makes sense to use a third party site.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:04:26 PM »
I'm so scary looking, they're usually very relieved that I haven't tried to kidnap and kill them. It makes things a LOT easier.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
I ionce placed an ad in a local musicians rag for a Jazz Bass and 1x15" combo. When the guy showed up at my house I sensed that he was a little goofy, but not threatening or anything. After deciding he wanted both pieces, he took out his checkbook and started to write. I told him that there was no way I was taking a check, but that there was an ATM up the block. Upon hearing that, he got very nervous and began farting uncontrollably (I'm not kidding). Shortly thereafter, he beat a hasty retreat and I never heard from him again.

On another note, a good friend of mine had the task of liquidating his place of work after the owner had a stroke. He ran an ad with a bunch of audio visual gear in the Want Ad Press, a legendary Jersey classified publication back in the day. He took a call from a kindly old gent named Red, who showed up wearing a hat and dark glasses, accompanied by his middle aged son. They looked over a bunch of stuff and told him they would let him know. A couple weeks later, he got a call saying that they wanted everything and that the son would pick it up at my friend's home. At that point "Red" revealed that he was in fact, Les Paul, and that anytime my friend and his family wanted to go to Fat Tuesdays (or later, to the Iridium) he had a personal invite from Les. He also told him that the next time he wanted a Les Paul (coincidentally, my friend owns several) that he should call and "get one from the man himself". Unfortunately, he never got to take Les up on that.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
I ionce placed an ad in a local musicians rag for a Jazz Bass and 1x15" combo. When the guy showed up at my house I sensed that he was a little goofy, but not threatening or anything. After deciding he wanted both pieces, he took out his checkbook and started to write. I told him that there was no way I was taking a check, but that there was an ATM up the block. Upon hearing that, he got very nervous and began farting uncontrollably (I'm not kidding). Shortly thereafter, he beat a hasty retreat and I never heard from him again.

On another note, a good friend of mine had the task of liquidating his place of work after the owner had a stroke. He ran an ad with a bunch of audio visual gear in the Want Ad Press, a legendary Jersey classified publication back in the day. He took a call from a kindly old gent named Red, who showed up wearing a hat and dark glasses, accompanied by his middle aged son. They looked over a bunch of stuff and told him they would let him know. A couple weeks later, he got a call saying that they wanted everything and that the son would pick it up at my friend's home. At that point "Red" revealed that he was in fact, Les Paul, and that anytime my friend and his family wanted to go to Fat Tuesdays (or later, to the Iridium) he had a personal invite from Les. He also told him that the next time he wanted a Les Paul (coincidentally, my friend owns several) that he should call and "get one from the man himself". Unfortunately, he never got to take Les up on that.

Great story (the Les Paul one, not the farting one). In the 30s Les went under the names Rhubarb Red and Red Hot Red.