Author Topic: Cream's BBC Sessions  (Read 1109 times)

westen44

• View Profile
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Cream's BBC Sessions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:48 PM »
These are also available on YouTube for those of us who don't subscribe to streaming services.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:16:59 AM »
If you're really old fashioned, it's also available as a two cd set. Love the goofy interjections from the British MC.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »
If you're really old fashioned, it's also available as a two cd set. Love the goofy interjections from the British MC.

I listen to Disraeli Gears on vinyl. Now that's old fashioned.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »
I listen to Disraeli Gears on vinyl. Now that's old fashioned.

Even so it's getting to the point that vinyl is becoming more popular again to the detriment of CDs.  I still try to buy CDs when I can find them.  But definitely fewer places sell them now.  They may eventually fizzle out like cassettes did.  I don't know.  I do have Cream's BBC Sessions on CD, though, which I bought a while ago. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
CDs project the bass frequencies so much better than any vinyl can. That is for me the decisive criterion.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 05:56:50 AM »
^^^
I agree.  I am waiting for this (on CD) which has just been released and will arrive in the mail soon. 

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/songs-for-groovy-children-the-fillmore-east-concerts-jimi-hendrix-legacy-recordings-experience-hendrix

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
CDs project the bass frequencies so much better than any vinyl can. That is for me the decisive criterion.

I remember that when playing "Birthday" on the White Album, many tone arms would skip on the bass hits. It took a pretty good tone arm not to skip.

Not a problem with CDs.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »
Basswise, 33 rpm vinyl is between a rock and a hard place: Put in too much bass and the stylus skips, put more than say 18 minutes of music on each side and you get less and less bass frequencies. When I changed from vinyl to CD in the early 90ies, I started hearing stuff on old recordings (I had heard a myriad times on vinyl) that I had never noticed before. The prominence that the kick drum has gained in the last decades in most kinds of music is unthinkable with vinyl, those thrash metal bass drum attacks really only work on CD. Likewise, a lot of the downtuned, grungy stuff.

I understand the visual and lifestyle appeal of vinyl (nothing compares to holding an LP sized gatefold sleeve in your hands while listening to the music), but as a quality medium for music there is really no contest with a CD, especially if you value audible bass frequencies.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 12:57:30 AM »

I understand the visual and lifestyle appeal of vinyl (nothing compares to holding an LP sized gatefold sleeve in your hands while listening to the music), but as a quality medium for music there is really no contest with a CD, especially if you value audible bass frequencies.

I have nearly completed transferring all my CD's to MiniDisc!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »
And that works losslessly?

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 02:48:39 AM »
I have a/b'd many albums I love but my human ear can't tell the difference. My inner ear tells me there's a difference, but I don't listen to it :) For playback I have a couple of Sony MDS12E decks, they are great. They take up less space than CD's, and more important - they actually work in a car environment! No skipping when hitting bumps, no trouble in cold or moisture, it's perfect! And of course,
as a bassplayer who also writes some music, it's great for recording and editing sketches and band rehearsals. I even bought the Yamaha 4 track MiniDisc recorder, for more advanced demoing.

Wonder why it weren't more popular...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 06:19:26 PM »

Wonder why it weren't more popular...

By the time Sony lowered the price of a Minidisc recorder to a reasonable level, PCs were starting to come with CD-R drives.