Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Dire financial situation at Gibson?

(1/49) > >>

Dave W:
I've dismissed the recent articles and YT video predicting the collapse of Gibson b/c the people behind them obviously had no idea how things work and what the numbers meant.

This article is different, and it's by a business writer from a Nashville business journal. Worth your time to read.

Gibson ‘running out of time — rapidly’

Looks as if things will change soon, one way or another.

Chris P.:
Interesting and this all sounds legit, although I don't understand all the economical things they say.

Alanko:
Dallas Seger, a smallscale luthier I follow on Instagram, posted the threatogram he received from Gibson over his 'YG' guitar design: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfE2dbbhBxb/?taken-by=freemans_mountain

The YG is a bit like an SG for sure, but the horns are shorter like a Guild S-100, and he adds a German carve to a number of his creations. It seems odd that Gibson chase down small luthiers who produce Gibson-like instruments when there are companies like Tokai who produce much closer replicas. They presumably know that the small luthiers can't afford big lawyers.

Grog:
It keeps looking worse........... At this rate, the second printing of "The Gibson Bass Book" will only need two more pages. Or, they could go the same way Kmart did. File bankruptcy & then turn around & buy Fender.

Basvarken:

--- Quote from: Grog on February 12, 2018, 07:38:16 AM ---At this rate, the second printing of "The Gibson Bass Book" will only need two more pages.

--- End quote ---

Yep. Looks like it ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version