Author Topic: Big price increase on D'addario strings  (Read 2191 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Big price increase on D'addario strings
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:50:48 PM »
I got an email from MF today advertising another 105/15% off sale so I looked to see if any LaBellas were included. Before I narrowed it down, I noticed that Chromes were now $40. What? They had been at about $25-28. So I looked at the XL Nickel Rounds and saw that a 2-pack of 45-105s is now $38. It had been $25. Checked their guitar strings, they are also up 25% or more.  Checked with Bass Strings Online (my usual source), Sweetwater, and American Musical/zzounds, same story.

LaBella and Ernie Ball have not increased their prices.

doombass

• View Profile
Re: Big price increase on D'addario strings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:45:00 AM »
That's no good for me since D'Addario is EXL's and Chromes are just about the only strings I use. The Chromes has been even more expensive here (475 SEK = 58 US$) than the price you have to pay in the U.S after the price increase. If the price increase here follows yours they will be ridiculously pricey.  :-[

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:23:31 AM »
In Europe d'Addario stops with distributors and go direct. That could be good for the prices.

And I'm curious if Fender will increase prices too, because their strings are made by d'Addario.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »
In Europe d'Addario stops with distributors and go direct. That could be good for the prices.

And I'm curious if Fender will increase prices too, because their strings are made by d'Addario.

I don't think D'addario makes Fender strings any more. Fender stopped making strings in Ensenada about 2010 and D'addario started making them back then, but in 2015 the owner of TDPRI posted pics from a tour he took of Fender in Corona, and he posted pics of string making in progress. I asked him about it by PM, he said "they had a sizable area with a group of 6 or 8 machines churning away making strings. That's all I know about it." That sounds to me like they only used D'addario temporarily.

Not many stores here carry Fender strings. I don't know why.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:12:37 AM »
That's too bad. I've used D'Addario nickel roundwound 45-105 for years on all my basses.
They have always been the most economical nickel round strings I've found that have consistent quality.
I've occasionally tried cheaper strings, but never with good results.

Now I wonder what else is out there.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 05:07:37 PM »
That's too bad. I've used D'Addario nickel roundwound 45-105 for years on all my basses.
They have always been the most economical nickel round strings I've found that have consistent quality.
I've occasionally tried cheaper strings, but never with good results.

Now I wonder what else is out there.

I've always liked EB Slinkys. Started buying the D'addarios b/c of the huge 2-pack savings. Last 2 times, I bought the Slinkys anyway, just like them a little better. Now the D'addarios are just as expensive.

After thinking about this, I'm wondering: did D'addario have a huge wholesale price increase, or have they just started enforcing an MAP? Maybe it's a bit of both.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
Slinkys are fine, I seem to recall they are a bit brighter when new? Not sure, I haven't bought a set in a long time.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 08:30:36 AM »
Dammit, I was just trying out switching to Chromes.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »
Slinkys are fine, I seem to recall they are a bit brighter when new? Not sure, I haven't bought a set in a long time.

Last two sets of rounds I've bought have been Super Slinkys (45-100). I don't think they're brighter, just a bit different in tone from D'addarios. They are similar, though. IMHO probably closer to each other in tone than to any other brand I've tried.

Dammit, I was just trying out switching to Chromes.

You might still be able to find some existing stock at a lower price, maybe through Amazon Marketplace or a small store.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 01:10:49 AM »

I only ever tested slinkys for guitar, and fell that the difference is only in tension. A 011 EB set 'feels' like a 010 set...
Don't know if it's like that on their bass sets.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 03:14:47 AM »
I used Slinkys and Fender rounds late 90's to early '00.  To me they sounded and felt about the same. A little brighter when new compared to D'Addario EXL. Though what made me stay with the D'Addarios once I tried them was that once the top of the bright new sound was gone they lasted longer before the tone went dead compared to the Slinkys and Fenders. Here the Fender strings mostly has been the cheapest of those three.