Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 235673 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »
That's a great version indeed! I've seen BÖC more than a couple of times, even with the orignal line-up, but I don't remember Lanier playing as extended a solo on guitar ever. His "artfully sloppy" style contrasts nicely with Roeser's sleek melodicism. And the drumming ... signature Bobby Rondinelli, say no more!

I find it hard to get tired of this version and agree with you on Lanier playing an unusually long guitar solo on this one.

I first saw BÖC in fall '83 or spring '84 and saw them probably 7-8 times through 2000. That show in 2000 was rad because they played a bunch of stuff they normally didn't and didn't play some things they almost always play. It was an interesting show!

At one outdoor show at a small venue I ran to the end of the stage and got Bloom, Buck and Allen to sign my ticket stub. Bloom added the BÖC symbol to his signature.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »

Neil Young on electric guitar is "artfully sloppy/noisy".  ;D

LOL! You're much too kind.

I still want to know what compromising info he had on Crosby Stills and Nash that they would let him play with them.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:42:25 AM by uwe »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »

I still want to know what compromising info he had on Crosby Stills and Nash that they would let him play with them.

Me2

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
Discovered that Nightwish is playing here in NC on March 10 and decided to cough up the money and go see them.
Clocks.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
Hey, I'll happily listen to Neil Young's electric playing any day.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »

^ X 100!
Clocks.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »

I remain baffled by it to this day. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »

His electric guitar is certainly an experience, a captivating car crash of a sonic experience.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
I'm going through a Joe Walsh binge. I always knew some of his stuff (his quintessential Live album, the hits plus his work with The James Gang), but have now bought pretty much all his solo albums and am in the process of listening to them. For some reason, I like his laconic, nasal vocals. And how varied his stuff is.

And in the same category of "70ies guitar heroes that never quiet made the A-list" are the four Les Dudek (except that he never got to join an act as financially rewarding as the Eagles) solo albums I recently bought and listened to. I was floored by the similarities to Tommy Bolin in his solo style, I had detected that with no other guitarist before, some of the tracks I heard could have been lifted off a lost Bolin solo album.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »

Yup, me too. He plays from the heart.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 10:50:14 AM »
I'm going through a Joe Walsh binge. I always knew some of his stuff (his quintessential Live album, the hits plus his work with The James Gang), but have now bought pretty much all his solo albums and am in the process of listening to them. For some reason, I like his laconic, nasal vocals. And how varied his stuff is.

And in the same category of "70ies guitar heroes that never quiet made the A-list" are the four Les Dudek (except that he never got to join an act as financially rewarding as the Eagles) solo albums I recently bought and listened to. I was floored by the similarities to Tommy Bolin in his solo style, I had detected that with no other guitarist before, some of the tracks I heard could have been lifted off a lost Bolin solo album.

Fairly obscure Joe Walsh and Jack Bruce performances I just ran across.  A pretty weird show, though, not as conventional as "Later...With Jools Holland." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V5dvECiDIc&t=33s
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
When I was a kid I had a John Entwistle album ("Too Late the Hero") that Joe Walsh played guitar on.  I forget who played drums. I think there were some plans to tour that group but it never happened.  Too bad, it was a versatile group and there were some not bad Entwistle tunes, and Walsh played well as always.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
I just ordered that CD a few days ago, in used condition it's been deleted for a while.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2018, 01:43:08 AM »
After years of trying I went to a Neil Young concert in Amsterdam two years ago. He played his longest solo concert ever. I hardly knew any of the (new) songs, but after three and a half hour I thought: Wow, I was totally into his music for two and a half hour... ..to realize it was an hour more!

He started acoustic. Then band and acoustic guitar. The Falcon was next and when Blackie came on it happenend. Oer the show he changed from an old man with an acoustic to a guitar god. THE sound I heard so many nights on my headphones, listenint to Weld and Rust Never Sleeps; it was there! I so loved it. He's one of my all time favourite guitar players and I rank his Blackie tone very high. With the P90 era Townshend. 

That concert was so cool. I think Macca played like 40 songs in three hours and Young 25 in 3,5 so an average of 8 minutes. He also played short songs so there were those enourmous solo's and after 15 minutes you thought: wow, this is still the same song, when the chorus kicked in again. I really loved it!

Nice note. Still a bit rebellious. That tour he played 2.5 to 3 hours a show and this was his longest ever. A lot of personnel of the venue had to catch trains and buses so afterwards I heard there was a lot of panicking in the venue and trying to keep all bars manned, when he kept on playing.

That promise of the real band is great.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »
When Neil has a good night, he is a force of nature.