Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 238976 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2018, 08:46:05 AM »
A pretty weird show, though, not as conventional as "Later...With Jools Holland."  [/quote

I think i recorded every episode on VHS in the 90s. Some really great guests and interesting collaborations.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »
I think I must have completely missed it when it aired 1988-1990.  Marcus Miller was the bassist in the house band. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
This will get me killed, but for all their musical qualities that house band can't really rock. Any B-list hard rock band could have done a better job on White Room. That is not to say that Miller and the very good guitarist (name escapes me right now) don't put some nice chops in, but they are acting and not feeling rock.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
They were jazzers more than rockers.  But Jack Bruce could be both, needless to say.  Jack was the only reason I watched it anyway. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
No issues with Jack, he is in a league of his own with those half-step defying fretless quarter-notes and the idiosyncratic timing and his unique middish sound spluttering everywhere.  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »
I'm listening to the Bruce, Baker, Moore Rockpalast concert even as we speak.   ;D

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
That was an underrated band. And I'm saying that as not the greatest Gary Moore fan on earth. Though every musician who has worked with him (eg Jack Bruce, Don Airey, Bob Daisley, Neil Carter, Cozy Powell, Roger Glover, Jon Hiseman, Tony Visconti, Glenn Hughes) is full of praise for his talent. I find his note-for-note intensity grating after a while. Give me Alvin Lee's playfulness anytime - Moore just plays every note dead-serious and as if his life (and that of the world!) depends on it. But no doubt a talented, immediately recognizable guitarist.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
I did post one of those interviews here several months ago in which Jack said he preferred playing with Gary Moore best of all.  There is some great stuff out there.  Since Robin Trower reminds me of Hendrix so much, his playing with Jack has always been fantastic to listen to.  But lately I've been noticing how free and spontaneous Jack Bruce's playing was with Leslie West.  After listening to that closely, that has been one of the biggest surprises of all.  Of course part of that could be that in some of the recordings the bass is so loud. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »
When I was a kid I had a John Entwistle album ("Too Late the Hero") that Joe Walsh played guitar on.  I forget who played drums. I think there were some plans to tour that group but it never happened.  Too bad, it was a versatile group and there were some not bad Entwistle tunes, and Walsh played well as always.

Joe Vitale was the drummer... the pic disc of the single I have is autographed...
For a bonus, this vid of the title track has decent shots of the Peter Cook Lightning bass... :D

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
Back into Dead Meadow, since they're playing here next month! The guitarist and the bass player are still playing the same instruments they played 17 years ago.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »
Curiosity got the better of me here... longest useage of same instruments...?
I've had the PC 40 years now, the RD I've had 39 years and my Ibanez 12 string since '81 and I know there's folks on here that have had instruments longer than me...

This guy's had a few quite a bit longer than me, and as for Ol' Hank's D28 he owns... ;)

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2018, 07:28:32 AM »
Moore just plays every note dead-serious and as if his life (and that of the world!) depends on it.

That's one major reason why he is up high on my favorite guitarplayers list. I've put Paul Kossoff and Peter Green in that category as well.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »
Curiosity got the better of me here... longest useage of same instruments...?
I've had the PC 40 years now, the RD I've had 39 years and my Ibanez 12 string since '81 and I know there's folks on here that have had instruments longer than me...

This guy's had a few quite a bit longer than me, and as for Ol' Hank's D28 he owns... ;)

I still have my first bass a 62 P I bought used in 1965

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »
John Fogerty's Blue Moon Swamp. What a fun CD! There's no question where the talent was in CCR.

One of my favorites is this quirky number: Blueboy. It has a driving bass line that makes the tune work.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
That's one major reason why he is up high on my favorite guitarplayers list. I've put Paul Kossoff and Peter Green in that category as well.

I do understand exactly that appeal, but I sometimes like a little light-heartedness or plain goofiness in music too. Like when Blackmore would play these amazing runs and then add some novelty melody while everyone was still gaping at the previous display of flash technique.

I also tend to favour the slight brittleness of a Strat sound in the Rory Gallagher-, Jimi Hendrix-, Ritchie Blackmore-, Eric Clapton- or Robin Trower-vein over that souped-up, ultra-sustainy sound Moore had, but that is a matter of taste.