Author Topic: Men are doomed  (Read 903 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Men are doomed
« on: February 06, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
It started with the crawfish

It's probably the work of evil German scientists. Soon we'll have a planet full of Rosie O'Donnells cloning themselves.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Men are doomed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »
Well I guess we can't call them crawdads no more. 

Seriously tho, parthogenesis (especially as regards humanity) is very controversial and there are some rather extreme views out there about it (especially from social justivce people; which frankly I find appaling and, to be quite honest stupid and possibley hypocritical).  To be clear, in humans it would require 2 ova (vs an ova and a sperm); self-fertalization would be a very bad thing (think inbreeding); we are a rather more complex, genetically speaking, organism than a fookin crayfish.  Parthogenesis just means reproduction without males.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:55:23 PM »
Evil German WiSSenschaftler my aSS! Your darned pets have switched one letter and turned into a pest over here, Yankee imperialist infiltrators in a shell!  :mrgreen:

I've read about those: In tried and trusted Yankee fashion - as if we didn't already have North American turtles, racoons, squirrels, trout, catfish and bass! -, they have ousted the German original "mirror species" or are in the process of doing so. Darwinism at work, but not like our / : - = ( envisaged it!

It's nothing new, Jeff Goldblum predicted it in Jurassic Park I - where they only bred female specimen to prevent them from reproducing and he says something along the lines of "but nature strives for reproduction".

And of course, the female dinosaurs start laying fertile eggs ...

It's not so far from the truth. The London Zoo had a female Komodo dragon a few years back that had never met a male Komodo (much less mated) in her (zoo-raised) life. She began laying eggs. Now that is not unusual because lots of female reptiles do that - the eggs are not fertilized however. Except that hers were - she had fertilized them herself. It's a phenomenon that had been known from amphibians (which are less close to reptilians than birds are), hence the mention of "amphibian DNA implanted in the dinosaur one" in Jurassic Park I, Herr Spielberg had obviously read a book or two about the subject, but not from reptiles, especially ones of that size.

https://www.livescience.com/1259-eggs-crack-open-komodo-dragon-virgin-births.html

It makes you think. A Komodo dragon's DNA is closer to ours than a crayfish DNA is to a Komodo (yup, parthogenesis is catching up with us, Jake!). So maybe we'll see the age-old question "Who came first: hen or egg?" answered in our lifetime in a way we did not anticipate.

I wish Ritchie could clone him-/herself!!!

"Nobody gonna take my car, I'm gonna race it to the grou-ound ..."

"Shucks, and you haven't had your period in how long a time you say?"

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:43:20 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
One thing nobody needs is for idiots to turn them loose and let them overpopulate and destroy aquatic ecosystems. Sounds like that has already happened outside the US.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."