Author Topic: Epiphone or Steinberg  (Read 1183 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Epiphone or Steinberg
« on: February 03, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
So I got this Epiphone mailing. It opens with a big Epiphone logo and it ends with allthe Epiphone social media links. And in between is this:

http://www.steinberger.com/

New Steinberger headless guitars and basses, but under the Epiphone banner? Hard to tell.

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: Epiphone or Steinberg
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
I hope that a 20/20 reissue is coming
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Looks like vapourware for the moment. The site suggests that these new Spirit models are coming in a range of finishes, but I can only find photos of black and white ones. Just like the old ones in fact. The quilt top one looks fairly nice, but then again it seems to only come as a 5-string variant. Ok I lied, because one instrument on the website has a black/white harlequin finish, like Michael Schenker had on his Flying Vs. I think this is the 'ying yang' finish they refer to on the page, but it looks like a Photoshop creation.

Gibson have presumably got the permission of Ned Steinberger to use his likeness. Or do they own his likeness, hence all the NS-branded instruments out there? Scary stuff. The Spirit stuff was, from memory, the cheaper wooden instruments?

I must admit I have a soft spot for Steinberger Spirit instruments after I saw Gong perform a few years back. Both Daevid Allen (RIP) and Steve Hillage used a contrasting black and white Spirit guitar each. Daevid's was white, and he was running it through a Vox AC-30. Quite interesting to see Steve Hillage use a minimalist guitar, through some sort of rack processor set up next to him onstage, and then out into amps. Photos of Steve in the '70s show him to be a wacky-backy hippy guy with either a Les Paul or Strat in his arsenal, and probably a gnome hat perched on his head. By contrast this guy in a black t-shirt shuffles onstage and straps on a black Steinberger guitar. Both players used that 'glissandi' guitar effect at various points during the night, and it sounded great, but Steve has toned down his image a lot!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
So I got this Epiphone mailing. It opens with a big Epiphone logo and it ends with allthe Epiphone social media links. And in between is this:

http://www.steinberger.com/

New Steinberger headless guitars and basses, but under the Epiphone banner? Hard to tell.

Both Steinberger and Tobias have appeared on Epi's website in the past. Maybe they're part of Gibson's Epi division.

Gibson have presumably got the permission of Ned Steinberger to use his likeness. Or do they own his likeness, hence all the NS-branded instruments out there? Scary stuff. The Spirit stuff was, from memory, the cheaper wooden instruments?

NS Design is owned by Ned. He founded it a few years after selling Steinberger to Gibson The companies aren't connected. No idea about the image rights.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:13:10 PM »
I hope that a 20/20 reissue is coming

20/20 Reissue for 2020...........
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:48:27 AM »

I must admit I have a soft spot for Steinberger Spirit instruments after I saw Gong perform a few years back.

They come to Norway in May, Steve Hillage and Gong. Promoter says it´s the only show Steve have with Gong in 2018, can´t see how they can carry on without Steve or David. Guess I have to see them. I liked Steve´s playing with Gong, and ´L´and `Fish Rising´solo albums as well. 

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:09 AM »
The e-mail showed several bright pics. Will make screenshot.

And yes: Steinberger is owned by Gibson and Ned has NS Design. And i think it's funny he designs headstock clip-on tuners too  :rolleyes:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 06:43:25 AM »
The e-mail has some vids too.