Author Topic: Gonna try a new toy!  (Read 2009 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Gonna try a new toy!
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
I'm returning (somewhat) to my roots playing upright bass.

Just won an Ebay auction for an NS Design NXT4 electric upright, with upgraded strings and a decent bow. I've been really wanting to play something like this, but without the need to move a whole upright around.  I still miss my old "white plywood" King bass.

The old King looked like this one, but rougher:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263459340129?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

A shot from the auction:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gonna try a new toy!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »
Those have gotten positive reviews, and Ned is behind the design, so your experience should be good.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:10 PM »
Reviews are indeed good. I've been thinking about this for some time, and the one that came up was just within my price range.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »
When properly set up the old King's were pretty wonderful...

Let us know how the NXT4 turns out

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
That old King was a fun bass. It played a LOT of dance hall numbers before I got it, and between the cut-outs on the side, the bottom bout edges had been completely covered with aluminum counter-top edging. I suspect it had been laid over so many times the edges were getting ground off.  It had the thicker German neck, too, so my hand had to stretch a bit more to get around it.  Not an orchestral bass, but perfect for jazz and rock n'roll.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
I was somewhat vertically challenged at school and had to stand on a stool to reach the neck properly... never did get the hang of it... also grew about 9 inches by the time I left school, which threw a lot of folks...
Pics when she get there... :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »
I was somewhat vertically challenged at school and had to stand on a stool to reach the neck properly... never did get the hang of it... also grew about 9 inches by the time I left school, which threw a lot of folks...
Pics when she get there... :popcorn:

Absolutely!  I'm also contemplating getting a Fender Rumble 100 amp for use with it.  22 pounds in one neat package. My Genz-Benz Shuttle on the 12T cab is light, but the Fender would be 14 pounds lighter. For a practice and small venue amp, how could it get lighter?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:23:28 PM by Pilgrim »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:01:10 AM »
In one of my bands we occasionally use a keyboard player who uses the Rumble 100.

Amazingly light and sounds good to me.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
My bedroom amp is a Rumble 100 v.3. It's great. It's capable of rattling the walls.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »
I keep thinking about that.  I have an 80's Fender Bassman 120 combo but it's a beast with a 15" speaker.  Sounds gerat, but too heavy to move around when I have the more powerful Genz-Benz stuff.

I think that toting around the electric upright and a 22-pound 100 watt amp would be a very nice combination indeed.

My old Bassman - you don't see many of these:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:42:14 PM by Pilgrim »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »
It's here!  I spent a couple of hours messing with it yesterday, and I'm very pleased.  It does need a preamp to adapt the piezo pickup output to a standard bass amp, and reviews indicated that preamp should have an impedance of 1 MegOhm or more, which is not typical of most preamps made for electric bass. I checked everything I had, and discovered that a (lowly) Behringer BDI21 modeler-driver-DI that I haven't used in years had the right impedance. I have it in the signal chain and the NXT bass sounds very upright.

It's definitely more work to play than a BG, but a lot less than an acoustic upright where your fingers have to generate the energy. My left hand got tired after a while from working the strings, and I had to take a break for a while. But I am certainly enjoying it, and I'm pleasantly surprised that the neck feels familiar although I haven't played upright in 40 years.

Some photos, including the carry case:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:38:42 AM by Pilgrim »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 07:00:38 PM »
You never forget completely. I could probably play a little cello if I had to, and that's been over 50 years.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »
Agreed. Funny thing, I tend to overshoot on finger placement rather than undershoot. Either I'm simply losing track of hand placement or I'm unconsciously overcompensating for the longer scale length. I suppose it could be both.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
You never forget completely. I could probably play a little cello if I had to, and that's been over 50 years.

Together with the bassoon, that would really calm you down.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...