Author Topic: Gretsch Jr Jet bass G2220  (Read 3445 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Gretsch Jr Jet bass G2220
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
I see no-polepiece mini humbucker pups on eBay all the time. I wonder how different these Gretsch pups are, to the sometimes ridiculously cheap ones online... not that I want to dissect a “good” one just to see what’s in it.

I have bought a couple of EY minihumbuckers and dissected them. The ones I bought had alnico 5 magnets and hotter coil windings than the average china-mini-buckers/allparts types. I think the EY's sounded better, and the price is good too.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
I see no-polepiece mini humbucker pups on eBay all the time. I wonder how different these Gretsch pups are, to the sometimes ridiculously cheap ones online... not that I want to dissect a “good” one just to see what’s in it.

Pretty hard to tell from a chrome soapbar cover.  The original Gretsch 2202/1222 series had a pickup designed by TV Jones but built by Gretsch, probably on contract somewhere overseas.  It's a good pickup and they show up on Ebay sometimes.  I think I have a spare as well. Gretsch used to note that in some of their product descriptions, but now they are simply described as "...Gretsch mini dual-coil bass humbucking pickups."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:17:09 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
Pretty hard to tell from a chrome soapbar cover.  The original Gretsch 2202/1222 series had a pickup designed by TV Jones but built by Gretsch, probably on contract somewhere overseas.  It's a good pickup and they show up on Ebay sometimes.  I think I have a spare as well. Gretsch used to note that in some of their product des
criptions, but now they are simply described as "...Gretsch mini dual-coil bass humbucking pickups."

Could be that TV Jones no longer wants his name associated with an inexpensive import that's nothing like his regular line. Or it could have been redesigned. There could be many variations under the covers of all these minibuckers.