Author Topic: Getting a pedal board …  (Read 1475 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Getting a pedal board …
« on: March 03, 2022, 05:51:32 AM »
I’ve always been an old school roots player . I always do the old school thump at gigs , and despite that get frequent compliments on my tone . I get a nice thump . Straight into the amp .
But after picking up that Squier VI to goof around on I’ve been picking up pedals . I’ve been showing considerable restraint too . So far I picked up a Fender TreVerb , a Genzler overdrive , and for giggles an Aguilar octaver . So I’m going down that slippery slope . Now this stuff is just for goofing around at home , they’d be lighting the torches if I started using this on gigs , but a nice locally made 13x18 pedal board just popped up on kijiji , and I’m getting it . Might be a day or two before I pick it up , we’re looking at some weather here .
I have been scarred from looking at some exquisite tweed covered boards on the internet . So that might be an option too . I can easily contact the designer , he re-tolexes amps and cabs …
And now I’ll have to pick up a couple more pedals … I’ll have some room , now that I’ve defined the size .
I’m going down that rabbit hole .

morrow

• View Profile
Re: Getting a pedal board …
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 05:57:51 AM »
This is something spotted on the internet , that struck me as a rather elegant solution …

The one I’m looking at is a box , so I just might call the upholsterer … it’s got red tolex on it now .

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 12:52:03 PM »
That is a good looking alternate.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 06:06:39 AM »
The one I bought is a case style , but not quite that elegant , but I might have the guy that made it re-cover it in tweed . It’s 13x18 .
I’ve got some room on this for more stuff … initially I was concerned the original might have been selling it because his cat peed in it , but he just needs a larger board .

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 06:50:46 AM »
Cat pee would not be a good effect to unleash.  But it would be a good name for a punk act.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:07:53 PM by Rob »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
Have you changed to tolex yet?

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 04:45:26 PM »
It’s a red tolex , I was thinking of going tweed , but I kinda like it for now . Picked up an MXR Chorus the other day , still lots of open space …

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 04:01:03 AM »
  That's the problem with pedals.  lol Starts innocently enough with a tuner next think you know you need a pedalboard.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 05:16:28 AM »
I’ve managed not to pick up any more since late March despite regularly checking kijiji . I’ve been finding that with the Bass VI a little reverb/ tremolo / sometimes delay / sometimes a little gain is what I’m mostly using . The atmospheric stuff can be fun for a bit but I don’t tend to use it much . The VI still gets a lot of time , I pick it up several times a day , it remains a guilty pleasure . I’m glad I put everything on a board because it occasionally gets moved between home and the in-laws , as we spend a lot of the time caring for Herself’s mother .
With basses it varies , my favourite little Gibson Jr sounds best straight into the amp , but I’ve been trying to deaden the strings on a DC Dano , it likes a little preamp/ bass boost and just the faintest hint of reverb . With most basses at home I just plug in the amp . At heart I’m a pretty straightforward thumper .
Gigs are straight into an amp unless I’m doubling with upright . My regular practice amp is still out on the bench so I’ve been using a GenzBenz Streamliner for home practice . It’s 500 watts at 8 ohms ! And sounds great through the tiny C2 cab .
I have been looking at the Monique by Jule preamp as something to invest in but it would really be an indulgent luxury . Although a gorgeous one . There’s always something .