Author Topic: No Treble on Facebook  (Read 8394 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: No Treble on Facebook
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »
Not to mention we are probably the only bassist forum where it's routine to voice dislike of the P/J combination  ;D

small favors

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
Any chance The Outpost could mount a hostile takeover effort, armed with mudbuckers and vagina steamers?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 07:00:28 AM »
Alright, 24 hours in.... gosh that page is full of idiocy. Some lad had a buzzing problem at the nut on his Fenderoid bass. One useless piece of advice was "adjust your truss rod". I've not editted this down from a longer post, and the grammar is lifted intact from the post. Should one tighten or loosen the truss rod? How would it mitigate an E string buzzing in or around the saddle? Just go with "adjust rod" next time. Even greater economy with words, paired with an even more obscured meaning. Or maybe just go with "adjust".

Bassists have a reputation for being the thick, deeply dogmatic dudes in the band, propagating myths and dreadfully outdated ideas about equipment. This page is sorta proving this to be the case.

I think part of the problem is that these guys are terrible at posing proper questions. The same is true of Talkbass. People always ask totally loaded questions like "which Bart PJ set do I need?". Bartolini offer what, maybe 4 flavours of PJ pickups in total. The guy has already decided on which manufacturer he's hunting for, and just needs to fit a product to this decision. And then you get "Well Seymour Duncans sure made my P bass sound real purdy when I installed them in 1985". Aye? Thanks for that insight, Grandpa.

"Which Orange head should I use as a backup on my next gig?"

"Maple and rosewood sound the same?".

"Is my Genz head underpowering my cabs?"

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
The level of literacy and ability to write with clarity on this forum is LEAGUES ahead of most online sites. I often can't even read the run-on sentences, punctuation-free and capital-free text posted on other forums by members who appear to be about age 12.

I have become somewhat impatient with that and occasionally ask them to try again with sentences.  There is one car forum I moderate, and I'm not sympathetic to that kind of post when it appears.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
Two minutes of scrolling and already way too much attention-seeking webcam videos.

I hope people are at least CYNing.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »
And besides, you neglected to mention Blackmore and Gwyneth.  :P

You mentioned He who shall NOT be named... you must be very brave... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
You mentioned He who shall NOT be named... you must be very brave... :vader:

If Uwe joins the thread, it's bound to lead to Blackmore eventually.

Anyway, I had just looked at the page., that's all. If I join the No Treble closed group, then my FB feed will be clogged with posts. As it is, half of my feed is posts from my Norwegian Elkhound group. That's enjoyable, no need to balance it with irritating posts.

At least with Talkbass, or anything in a forum format, you can look at a thread's title and avoid it completely if you can see it's inane.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 01:10:16 AM »
And there is this John Falstom guy, who only posts about... John Falstom (third person singular).  :o

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
And there is this John Falstom guy, who only posts about... John Falstom (third person singular).  :o

He occasionally posts in the Gibson bass guitars - vintage and modern group on FB too. Always about himself, his book or his gear. I really don't see a problem with self-promotion as long as it doesn't take over the group but it's odd that he doesn't participate in any other conversations.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 09:33:37 AM »
He also has a page on FB called Gibson Bass Guitar Club.
I think it's odd that he always talks about himself in the third person singular. But that's just Rob van den Broek, who always complains about anything. Silly Dutch bastard.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »

Sounds like ...Carlos Liston! All third person, all self-important, all the time!  (If you don't get it , you REALLY need to watch Major League 3, Back to the Minors. Hilarious movie! Major League and ML 3 are great, ML 2 is kinda meh.)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:34:31 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc&ab_channel=dumbledoreseverus
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »

People that refer to themselves in the third person singular usually have a bit of egomania on the go. I looked this guy up, and I saw four minutes of him playing a Uriah Heep song and them him talking about the bass he played it on. Ok I guess, but he is hardly a master of technique and hardly a master of teaching either. Thumb over the top of the neck is alright, if a bit oldschool, but I wouldn't be teaching that sort of stuff. His right hand technique is also pretty hard and imprecise as well. Ok I guess, but hardly exemplary playing. Beyond that he isn't really brilliantly up to speed on the tech of the basses he 'reviews'. Plus, the video is shot on a wee handycam or similar, so the audio is mono, unmixed and pretty raw.

There is a broadly similar guy on Talkbass that keeps uploading mobile phone videos of him playing basses in guitar shops. I don't get that either. I'm learning very little about how the bass performs.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
It has a name: illeism

Best known practitioner in recent years: The Rock. But at least he was doing it in his wrestling role, I don't think he does it otherwise.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
Did anybody call me here?

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...