Author Topic: CME Limited Edition WAL/CB basses on preorder  (Read 4031 times)

ilan

• View Profile
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: CME Limited Edition WAL/CB basses on preorder
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
I like. Reminds me of my former Montezuma Brown (less the checkerboard binding).

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
Different strokes...of all the Rick color combinations I've seen, I probably like that one least. The tan PG on the brownish body looks weird to me. Maybe it's just the color of that PG itself - to me it's a nasty color.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:41:13 AM »
The tan PG on the brownish body looks weird to me. Maybe it's just the color of that PG itself - to me it's a nasty color.
To me, gold-backed pickguards always echo the original late-50s Rickenbacker basses.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
To me, gold-backed pickguards always echo the original late-50s Rickenbacker basses.

Like Treena's.  :vader:

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Is that one hers?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
A nice nod to their heritage, but I'm not sure I would keep the gold guard on there.  ;D

I've said this before I'm sure, but I feel that the top horn is too thin. Rickenbacker have gone past '60s specs and really thinned that top horn down. This is especially apparent if you compare it to the elephant trunks they were putting on basses in the '80s.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »
Is that one hers?

I don't believe for a minute that she actually owned the 4000 she posted about. She had one or two old black & white small jpegs of her playing it, but if she had owned it we'd have seen current pics at the time.

She was banned from the Pit for claiming a pic of someone else's bass was hers.

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »
She was banned from the Pit for claiming a pic of someone else's bass was hers.
I never knew that.  Sort of the same as Carol Kaye laying claim to playing on stuff she didn't, eh?

I have those b&w photos, plus two color photos, from what appears to be different time periods, of her with the bass; until proven otherwise, I'll assume she had the bass for a while, anyway, whether borrowed or otherwise.  I don't think these were PhotoChopped®.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:02:42 PM by Jeff Scott »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »
I never knew that.  Sort of the same as Carol Kaye laying claim to playing on stuff she didn't, eh?

I have those b&w photos, plus two color photos, from what appears to be different time periods, of her with the bass; until proven otherwise, I'll assume she had the bass for a while, anyway, whether borrowed or otherwise.  I don't think these were PhotoChopped®.

No, they weren't photoshopped, she at least had it in her possession and played it on stage at least once.

I just looked her up, she's on Facebook, now living in Missouri. Her profile pic is the same b&w one she was using 15 years ago, and there are for old b&w pics of her with basses, the two with the Ric and two with a Fender. Who knows how far back they go. Those pics looked old 15 years ago. What bothered me is that she either claimed or at least suggested that she owned it at the time she posted those pics.

She got caught in a discussion in the Pit chat where someone (maybe Kevin Borden) had posted a pic of one of his basses, taken in his own back yard, and she swore it was hers. It wasn't her first exaggeration.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
I like it. And about Treena,yeah that was weird.

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
Sad, why do people have to lie about things like this?

Did you know that I owned Chris Squire's bass before he did?  He bought it from my mom.  :mrgreen:

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »
 :)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »
Her husband had a small recording studio at one time. She claimed to have recorded the Beach Boys and The Tubes, among others. I'm skeptical.

People enhance their resumes, nothing new about that. Her problem was that people saw what was going on. I can think of worse forum lies than what she did. Three from TDPRI years ago come to mind, all three of them had some people convinced until they were eventually exposed.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 01:15:11 AM »
That's kind of the sad part of it. One exposed lie and you're (rightly so) questioned about all other things you've claimed even if they are true. I suppose some people get into believeing that the more forum hip gear and cool experiences you have, the more valuable you become. Another sad part is that maybe that's true on some forums but not this very forum here, which is what I like the most about it.  :toast: