Author Topic: Long winded update  (Read 3058 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Long winded update
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
I am sorry I have not been around, but I have sailed on life’s journey and will share my experience.

I do miss Uwe, but everyone else I keep in touch with on social media.

Anyway, as some of you might remember 4 years ago my sister died from blood cancer, I had to put my dog down, and I lost my company.

So I took a step back and re-evaluated my life. Realized I can’t play bass anymore due to my unorthodox style which was giving me carpel tunnel and tennis elbow.

So I always like sports cars and some guy near me offered to sell me his 1985 Toyota Mr2 for a crazy price. I bought it without my wife’s blessing. She read me the riot act and I decided to pay for it by selling all my basses, but this is its own story for another day.

I found in my industry- Toys, no one wants to hire anyone over 50, at least not without relocating, which I did want to do, since I would more than likely get laid off . Also I would rather live near my kids.

I got hired by another toy Invention studio that lasted 3 years, but the owner decided to liquidate the company and its staff.

So I was unemployed once again. My bank account was trickling down so I took a job selling Windows inhome. Guess what?

I loved doing it, it was a great experience and did fairly well. Now don’t go all sorry for the inhome sales guys, they make big money, some make 6 figures!

I also was really good at it because I didn’t care if I sold them. They had a sales training system that really worked. Each sale took at least 4 hours!

They taught us all these negotiating tactics, but I rarely used them, because they would all say (the ones who really were serious) - John I really like you and I know I told you I never buy anything on my first quote i’ll do it!

It was crazy!

It was good money too, but creativity I felt empty and felt like I was faking my life.

I would drive all over Chicago and get to meet all these cool different people, enter their houses, see their decorating styles, see cool new neihborhoods, and hear their life stories. I bonded with these people like I was family in the end. I could tell you about their grandpa, their dogs name - which I would stop anysale when they had a dog and just play with their dog.

If a sale was not going well I would say to my sell f*** it and try something crazy, and it work 90 percent of the time.

I also learned sales is an emotional rollercoaster. When you sell a big order of Windows for a house, say $46,000 for window doors etc and get 15% it’s intoxicating. However when you can’t sell it is really depressing. You can tell right away when it’s a waste of time.

I had 2 weeks of no sales and started looking at jobs again.

I found a local company that does children’s Educational products and they hired me!
It’s been one year and things are going well.

I handle all their product Development, and they are a great company. So far so good at least.

We got two new basenjis (yes I need my head examined), my son got married and moved out of town and my daughter graduated collage and moved back home.

She bought a bearded dragon that is an anazimg pet. Who knew they like to be with people and are almost dog like.

That’s my long winded story.

I you want to know what it’s like, watch the first couple of episodes of white powder on Netflix.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:26:36 AM by Barklessdog »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Long winded up date
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »

Nice to hear from you John! 
Glad things are going well for you and your family as well.

I've watched that show "White Gold" on Netflix - Pretty funny! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:09:42 AM »
Sounds like you're in a better situation now.  Glad to hear it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:13:24 AM »
Hi John, nice to see you're doing good. I've sometimes thought of you and I've seen hints that you're doing fine, just not so active here. Thanks for the update.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »
I will try to hang with you guys more as I miss it as well.

I will say that my sister used to be my support, when I lost that, I felt lost. But my son who has become a Buddhist, has become my new life support. As he reminded me, it’s not about where you end up but the journey you take. Change is always difficult, and full of anxieties.

I learned to enjoy whatever I am doing, and being happy with what I have. My life is like my Toyota Corolla, it may not have everything I want, but it has everything I need.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »
Glad you found your way to the Outpost back, John!
Our little conversation over at Facebook must have steered you gently towards the light ;-0

Good to see you're getting back on track!
Keep chiming in. You're welcome anytime.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
Welcome back John

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
Congratulations on all fronts. Great to have your children around to support both ways. Never give up.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
Happy and sad to hear the constituent parts... but glad to hear the route forward is basenjified... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:56:35 PM »
I will try to hang with you guys more as I miss it as well.

I will say that my sister used to be my support, when I lost that, I felt lost. But my son who has become a Buddhist, has become my new life support. As he reminded me, it’s not about where you end up but the journey you take. Change is always difficult, and full of anxieties.

I learned to enjoy whatever I am doing, and being happy with what I have. My life is like my Toyota Corolla, it may not have everything I want, but it has everything I need.

Your last sentence rings a bell with me. That's how I've learned to live. Mick and Keith should write a song about it.

We're still about WWII aircraft, Gwyneth Paltrow, reptiles and other subjects...and basses, but you know that owning basses isn't required.

Uwe has been very busy the past few months between work and moving house.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »
I’m sure we can discuss reptiles...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 06:46:30 PM »
Welcome back! 

I'm not here as much as I used to be - promoted/killer long days & taking care of my parents - now just my mom.

I can envision a major detour centered around the "bearded dragon" - just sayin' ....... :o 

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 07:43:03 PM »
Great to see you!
That's a great story, even the tough parts.
Hope you find a way to bring music back in your life without the carpal tunnel. It may be heresy to say this here but there are apparently OTHER musical instruments you can learn to play!  And if you can pull off multiple career switches midlife, surely that's possible too.

But that's just me wishing for everyone to make music. You don't gotta. Your son the Buddhist probably has a better view.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Long winded update
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
Good to see you back; sorry for the belated well-wishes - I just been occupied with holiday stuff until recently.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)