Author Topic: Fast Eddie Clarke RIP  (Read 2686 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Fast Eddie Clarke RIP
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:58:31 AM »

lowend1

• View Profile
Fast Eddie Clarke RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:01:15 AM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

doombass

• View Profile
Re: Fast Eddie Clarke RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
All the members of my favorite lineup of Motörhead gone now. RIP Eddie.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
Its a bummer... It's a bummer... rip... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:52:38 AM »
R.I.P. Eddie. Just as I ordered and received the expanded 2CD editions of my fav 'head albums "Overkill" and "Another Perfect Day". Dare I even play the latter...

Eddie's lead playing has a haunting quality. I love how they applied some reverb. Hard to describe but it reminds me of a wet asphalt on a city by night. :)

One of my favs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZDYsNCC6Q

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
The Overkill album is my favourite as well. The thing with the Eddie-era to me is that everyone had such huge characterics, playing style and soundwise. Obviously Lemmy had his voice and bass sound, but Eddie and Philthy were'nt far behind adding lots of character. Eddie never won any guitar polls and he was kind of a one trick pony. But nobody would be able to fill his shoes in Motörhead (not even such a great guitarplayer as Robbo). I'm a big fan of the later lineups as well. They made good songs and played well but to me the people replacing Eddie and Philthy could more or less have been any good guitarist or drummer.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
Triple ace of spades.  :-\  They went like they came and lived - fast (once Philthy had made his exit).

Are they now the first complete (and original at that) line-up of a metal band in Höven?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
Are they now the first complete (and original at that) line-up of a metal band in Höven?
The Ramones ?
not really metal but in the same league

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 06:44:24 AM »
Do ze bruddahs already have a drummer in rock'n'roll heaven?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:16:27 AM »
Do ze bruddahs already have a drummer in rock'n'roll heaven?

Yes, Tommy died a few years ago.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
Blitzkrieg RIP.  :-\

Joey once admitted in an interview to liking 70ies heyday Purple, that makes them honorary hard rockers at least! That first Ramones album was sonically something new at the time, I really liked it (much as I didn't like the sound of the first Sex Pistols album - which came out quite a bit later - which I found disconcertingly rooted in glam rock/Chinnichap production values, not that I disliked that sound, but it didn't meet my expectation of a band so vocally set to shake up the system). Punk wasn't even used as a term back then, to me their (The Ramones) sound came closest to the one of the MC5 which I always considered undergroundish hard rock. So, yeah, I guess I would have called the Ramones back then "hard rock" before they were labelled as PUNK.

It's too bad that Rick Rubin never go his hands on them in their later days.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »

It's too bad that Rick Rubin never go his hands on them in their later days.

It's even more unfortunate that Phil Spector did. That was Joey's doing.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
My story on the Ramones goes as follows: As a teen, I read Rock Scene magazine religiously. To those unfamiliar with, it was a publication that largely chronicled the NYC club scene and bands at that time. The Ramones had been hyped heavily there, so when the album was released I ran out to EJ Korvettes (look it up) and purchased it. Leather jackets? They MUST be good! Well... From the second I dropped the needle, I was convinced it was some kind of cruel joke. Joey sounded like he had a swollen tongue, and I'd heard farts that lasted longer than their songs - which had the most bizarre subject matter I had ever heard. There was no lead guitar, per se - and in the 70s that was everything to me. I could not find one song on that album that stimulated me in any positive manner, so I ditched the album as quickly as humanly possible.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »
That Spector production failed big time with the bruddahs. But I was never a fan of the Spector Wall of Sound, Let It Be is (also) sonically the most non-descript Beatles album and All Things Must Pass gives me headaches with its echoy-y-y cavernous sound. I don't even like River Deep, Mountain High, overblown and tinny.

I always liked Joey's nasal pop voice, it was laconic, but at the same time pleading. What you hear on those early albums is him multitracked several times over (much like Ozzy) which made his voice stand out so much (again much like Ozzy's). He was apparently very good at multitracking his vocals very accurately.

A "lead guitar kid" myself, the lack of lead guitar didn't bother me that much on the Ramones debut, I immediately liked how primal it sounded. There had been other bands such as the New York Dolls and Status Quo where the lead guitar role had de facto been more one of a "2nd rhythm guitar" and I had dug those as well. So I didn't miss that, say, Rory Gallagher hadn't played some lead overdubs on the Ramones debut!  :mrgreen:

Speaking of whom: When Rory G. saw a Sex Pistols gig in San Francisco (while he was recording a new album there), he left as a changed man. He scrapped the recording, kicked out his keyboarder and the jazzy drummer (in came hard-hitting Ted McKenna from The Sensational Alex Harvey Band) and reconfigurated his band into a power trio. And I guess it wasn't Steve Jones' exquisite blues licks that impressed the Irishman.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:26:45 AM by uwe »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
But I was never a fan of the Spector Wall of Sound, Let It Be is the most non-descript Beatles album and All Things Must Pass gives me headaches with its echoy-y-y cavernous sound.

Do you have "Let It Be... Naked"?