Author Topic: Glenn Cornick bass timeline pre-JT through Wild Turkey and Paris - updated  (Read 9862 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Glenn Cornick bass timeline pre-JT through Wild Turkey and Paris - updated
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
You get a glimpse of the psychedelic Jazz bass in this footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNvOlyf-JAw

The lighting doesn't bring out the colours especially well, and I actually think it looks quite bad! I like the lefty neck however.

It looks like the odd reverse V bass has Guild humbuckers fitted? It seems that he was rather fond of these pickups. He also had that sonic blue refin'd Guild Starfire that he had modified to a two pickup instrument. It had Bisonics (somebody on Talkbass has/had it). Clearly Glenn was semi fond of Guild basses even if this doesn't seem too apparent form the lineup here.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: Glenn Cornick bass timeline pre-JT through Wild Turkey and Paris
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »

I think he may have been mistaken (or he may have forgotten) as far as using it on stage because this photo clearly shows him using it in a performance. It certainly was not seen in many photographs.

I think this might be from some TV performance so it's probably a playback.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RemJoO29EnI

Screenshot fodder... all sorts of interesting close-ups... there's a bunch of other material up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjF_v_9nXXM
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RemJoO29EnI
Screenshot fodder... all sorts of interesting close-ups... there's a bunch of other material up...

The first video is really cool because it shows Glenn actually using the EBO and then later his first Thunderbird!
Thanks for posting that!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
All part of the service, Sir... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
I love seeing the footage of the band onstage, with Glenn playing an EB-3. It looks like the same gig as this:

An interesting period for the band, somewhere between being a blues/jazz/heavy group and slowly getting their prog trappings. It looks like Martin Barre is taking a long solo spot and Glenn and Ian are mocking his drawn out solo by bunking down on stage. Quite a lot of implied camaraderie and brotherly unity (as also shown in the footage) rather than the slick ultra-disciplined band (Ian's band) of a few years later .

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »
Just bought a box set..The first three Tull albums with Glenn.

Excellent playing...very creative...great sound...

Thanks for turning me on to this one.

And yes, these 3 albums sound like it is a collective band, rather than "Ian's Band"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:17:14 AM by patman »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
I have the first two, but I need to track down a copy of Benefit. I might track down the Steve Wilson remaster or Stand Up as well, as my copy is a bit murky and there isn't always a great deal of separation between the instruments.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »
I have the first two, but I need to track down a copy of Benefit. I might track down the Steve Wilson remaster or Stand Up as well, as my copy is a bit murky and there isn't always a great deal of separation between the instruments.

I have all the Wilson remaster boxes (usually 2CD/2DVD) from "Aqualung" to "Songs From The Wood" and "Heavy Horses" on pre-order. Excellent all with great bonus tracks big booklets. I should get the "Stand Up" as well before it's sold out.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »
Recently found this shot, looks like after the first photo Denis posted in post #6, but before the shots of where it's been modded. You can see the Orange cabs under the Hiwatts, which also show up in the earlier shot, and that a sticker has been added to the bass. The Orange cabs are interesting, looks like on the right there is a stack of 4x12s, but on the left it appears to be a cab, nearly as tall as two 4x12s, as there's no break in the middle. I would guess it's an 8x10, doubt it's a 6x12 or 8x12.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 05:46:15 AM »
Recently found this shot, looks like after the first photo Denis posted in post #6, but before the shots of where it's been modded. You can see the Orange cabs under the Hiwatts, which also show up in the earlier shot, and that a sticker has been added to the bass. The Orange cabs are interesting, looks like on the right there is a stack of 4x12s, but on the left it appears to be a cab, nearly as tall as two 4x12s, as there's no break in the middle. I would guess it's an 8x10, doubt it's a 6x12 or 8x12.

Awesome, thanks for posting that!!!! That's a great photo!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
I know it's an old thread, but wanted to update seeing as some of the old photo links are dead and I've seen some new ones as well.

From his very early days, a white Precision with tort guard, and what looks like black tape on the headstock

Same Precision, now with either a painted or anodized guard

And a Hofner 500/1 with Cavern spacing. Note annotation, the first photo Glenn had of himself as a musician.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 03:20:39 PM by D.M.N. »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
That 1968 appearance at the Stones Circus starting this thread is instrumentally mimed, only Ian Anderson sings live (half-playback). Neither Cornick  nor Tony Iommi are plugged, the drums are unmiked. That's why you don't hear Iommi (with the white hat) playing live either. Anderson did let go of him in any case shortly after when he realized that Tony's missing digits on his fretting hand would give him issues with the very ornamental guitar parts Ian had in mind for Tull going forward.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

D.M.N.

• View Profile
And now the Wild Turkey period.

Later appearance of the Reverse II, now with a sticker covering the Neil Clark hot stamp on the pickguard.

Early photo of Wild Turkey, with the Reverse II. I also mentioned in an earlier post, the massive Orange cab, which can be seen clearly here. Since that original post and my conjecture as to what it was, I've seen photos of both original Orange 6x12 and 4x15 cabs. A bit hard to say which it is, but in another photo you can make out the shadow of some of the speakers, and I'm leaning towards a 6x12

The Rickenbacker 4001

D.M.N.

• View Profile
And now for some Fenders, first the natural Precision seen earlier in the thread.

A natural Jazz Bass, with what appears to be the Natural Precision's neck (or at least a maple Precision neck, black dots instead of blocks and binding that would have been available on Jazzes at the time)

A natural Jazz with a rosewood bound and block neck. Note the date, at the last Wild Turkey gig. So maybe this is the jazz pictured above, with its original neck back on? Or a different one, as the above has a white guard and this one has a tort.

A heavily modified Mustang. A bit hard to make out, but it appears to have the Guild humbucker in the middle, and a Thunderbird humbucker in the bridge position, with some sort of surround.