Author Topic: anyone in need of a Moog board for RD Artist?  (Read 2932 times)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
Re: anyone in need of a Moog board for RD Artist?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »
If you have an RD you want to restore, then you want the board, even if a modern two-band preamp would do the trick. Or an external preamp pedal, for that matter. it's no different from wanting any other vintage part.

If I even had an RD to restore, I doubt I'd reinstall that (original) monstrosity inside it; if I wanted all the bells and whistles to work, I think I'd speak to John East or something.  Thankfully, I've never been hit with the restoration bug.
The future I come from no longer exists.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 03:47:39 PM »
The compressor really bloody works.  The expansion I'm a bit more meh about.  The bright mode does give it a different voice, accentuates some high mids - it's not all about treble.  I think it does something interesting to the sound that while I'm quite sure it can be achieved by other means nowadays, it has to be remembered as a product of its time.

I like it and I think an RD which has had a Moogectomy is the poorer for it.  But I would say that, because I have one, I guess.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 06:05:32 PM »
There's a pedal for everything today. OTOH I do understand why people want to keep theirs original or restore theirs, so long as it doesn't get into ridiculous territory like guys paying $50 for a rusty pickguard screw from the same year.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
I like it and I think an RD which has had a Moogectomy is the poorer for it.  But I would say that, because I have one, I guess.

I guess mine is the most extreme example of a Moogectomy out there and having had both I know what I love most...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
The compression/expansion and brightmodes are more for freaking out IMO.

Bridge pup + expansion + chords + dirt pedal + big ass amp = thhe rythmn guitard starts to feel the existential threat.

That's my most of the time setting with the RD (or, to be fair, neck, normal mode, bass up, treble down, mudbucker simulation sort of thing for cleaner more melodic bits).  Granted don't use the RD as my main weapon.  The dude from Metz does, and on the records it certainly sounds like he uses bright mode sometimes.  FX mode is hard because it could be pedals.  RDs have a bit of a cult following with the heavier musics and (I guess I don't know what sort of stuff you do) I expect part of that is the non-normal modes (and the look).

... anyway, I was thinking the chordy rhythm bit I did on one song we recorded (used the Triumph on everything) wasn't sounding right; now thinking I should retrack it with the RD and how the bloody hell it didn't occur to me to switch (That's what happens when you wear to many hats in the studio, I suppose).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)