Author Topic: anyone in need of a Moog board for RD Artist?  (Read 2931 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
anyone in need of a Moog board for RD Artist?
« on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:59 AM »

doombass

• View Profile
Re: anyone in need of a Moog board for RD Artist?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:05 AM »
I don't need one fortunately, but if I did I'd probably pay that price. Considering what some of the generic onboard preamps cost I don't think that RD board is too expensive. That said I would expect a very narrow market for the seller though.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:54:32 AM »
Now what if I built a mahogany RD Artist? ... :popcorn:

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
I bought a NOS board a while back, it seems to me that it was way cheaper than this one at the time. But this one also has the wiring harness. That's huge! Also, is there any difference in the boards for a bass or a standard guitar? I seem to remember a different number on the board designating what it was for.......?????
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »
Guitar and bass did have differing PCB's, iirc...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 12:39:41 AM »
Yes, it would be strange if they did'nt differ. You'd want different roll off points for the eq between guitar and bass.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
Yes, the guitar board is actually considerably smaller.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
Now what if I built a mahogany RD Artist? ..

I was thinking the same thing maybe there is still something left in me - a vision.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 02:32:35 AM »
Excuse my ignorance here but is the Moog circuitry on an RD more about, 'Oh, mine has a Moog circuit!' or what the circuit actually gives?

I've just watched a short RD bass video on You Tube posted by the Chicago Music Exchange (and while I'm really no fan of sunbursts, that sunburst is pretty lush)...look, while the video is pretty brief and there's this comment about Bob Moog being visionary, I don't really know that in a real terms the circuit (in today's terms) provides that much other than a bit of cut and boost (that would be lost once everyone cranks things up) and a frankly hideous backplate on the reverse of the body. 

I suppose another observation, look at the size of that circuit-board.  Jeepers, you could probably make the same now at the size of a postage stamp.
The future I come from no longer exists.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »
Agreed!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »
I'm also with you in that respect. The cut/boost eq just do what any of those 2 band preamps do. The "normal" setting is the meat and potato-setting that I use 95% of the time I play the RD. The compression/expansion and brightmodes are more for freaking out IMO. Gives you the feeling you have that secret little weapon engaged with the flick of a switch.

And of course the development over the past 40 years has provided us with smaller electronic devices. Just look at the smartphones. A megaload of functions in a tiny package. The RD with its huge Moog-board is a cool and for its time pioneering artefact (but nobody else caught on though  ;D ) kind of like any old odd car design.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 02:56:17 PM »
Best move I made with mine was extraction... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »
I wonder if the two-band preamp in the RD was inspired by the Stingray which came out the year before?  Stingray was '76 and RD was '77?
Was that the first bass with a two-band fixed-frequency boost/cut EQ?

Alembic came earlier, but I think all their EQs were based on sweepable filters ... ironically, a lowpass filter with variable frequency and Q, more similar to typical analog synths.
I wonder why Moog didn't go that route for the RD.  I love that Alembic filter, though I've only actually used the fixed-Q variant that they sold with their replacement Fender pickup sets.  It can do a lot of things that a two-band can't (and vice-versa of course).
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »
I am guilty on committing heresy when my moog died, but i like the way it sounds.

Crappy picture but they are TV Jones Thunderblades.  No mods to the pickguard so it can be converted back if I ever get the board fixed.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 07:50:53 PM »
If you have an RD you want to restore, then you want the board, even if a modern two-band preamp would do the trick. Or an external preamp pedal, for that matter. it's no different from wanting any other vintage part.