Author Topic: New Embassy at Sam Ash  (Read 2478 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
New Embassy at Sam Ash
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
Today at Sam Ash I saw they actually had one of the new Embassies in Antique White. I was curious so I took a look. It's small and light and looked good until I felt the frets. Sharp edges all over the place and most of them seemed to be incorrectly cut to fit the width of the fretboard. I was surprised but wondered if the thing had sat in an ice cold truck for days and somehow caused the wood to shrink. I thought it was a shame.
Also, and I didn't know this, the Embassies are made in China.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

patman

• View Profile
Re: New Embassy at Sam Ash
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »
sorry to hear that...I have been considering an Embassy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »
AFAIK all Epis are made in China now, in the two factories in Qingdao owned by Gibson. At least the solidbodies are.

That Embassy came from the same production line as the new Vintage Pro TBirds, and those have been okay shipped from Sweetwater, so my guess would be weather-related shrinkage of the fretboard.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
AFAIK all Epis are made in China now, in the two factories in Qingdao owned by Gibson. At least the solidbodies are.

That Embassy came from the same production line as the new Vintage Pro TBirds, and those have been okay shipped from Sweetwater, so my guess would be weather-related shrinkage of the fretboard.

I dunno, Dave, my new Epi Vintage Pro T-bird has a "Made in Indonesia" sticker on the back of the headstock.
Clocks.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
sorry to hear that...I have been considering an Embassy

I wouldn't discount one just because of the one I looked it. Everything else about it was pretty damn nice!
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
I wouldn't discount one just because of the one I looked it. Everything else about it was pretty damn nice!

And frets can be dressed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Exactly! The way these sounded in online reviews and based on the quality and feel of the one Sam Ash had, they are easily worth the money.
Clocks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
Sharp edges of frets is often a result of a dried out fretboard.
Store it in a conditioned room with correct humidity prevents this problem.
And treating the fretboard with linseed oil doesn't do any harm either.

I would find it very strange if Epiphone ships out brandnew bass guitars with fret edges sticking out.
Must have been a long dry journey from China to the USA...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »
I dunno, Dave, my new Epi Vintage Pro T-bird has a "Made in Indonesia" sticker on the back of the headstock.

That's a surprise!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »
I played a white JC at GC a couple of years ago that was made in Indonesia. But I think it has all moved to China at this point.

My Fenderbird neck (Korean made Mighty Mite) often ends up with frets sticking out during the winter months here in Chicago. I've been meaning to file the edges when they get to that point, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »
I hear you. My Melody Maker RI does that every winter.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »
Are there any vintage pro thunderbirds that have made in China stickers on them? Indonesia has a better reputation for wood working and with the multi laminate neck through construction, I think it's a better place for the T-birds to be made. I went to Bali on a vacation once and saw all kinds of artistically carved wood pieces for furniture or decoration. It's too bad about the American woman with the medical marijuana prescription that got busted there and is in indefinite incarceration now. I think it might have something to do with the Muslim majority nation's displeasure with Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capitol. But hey, if that doesn't bother you, at least you can score a mean Thunderbird from there.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »
Are there any vintage pro thunderbirds that have made in China stickers on them? Indonesia has a better reputation for wood working and with the multi laminate neck through construction, I think it's a better place for the T-birds to be made. I went to Bali on a vacation once and saw all kinds of artistically carved wood pieces for furniture or decoration. It's too bad about the American woman with the medical marijuana prescription that got busted there and is in indefinite incarceration now. I think it might have something to do with the Muslim majority nation's displeasure with Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capitol. But hey, if that doesn't bother you, at least you can score a mean Thunderbird from there.

I hadn't heard anything about that story.  But if that's the case it would bother me. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »
Fretless... no frets no prob... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
I was mistaken in that it's a man, 32 year old Christian Beasley instead of a woman. There was a case of an Australian woman held for a number of years on a similar charge.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.