Author Topic: Gibson's legal department strikes again  (Read 4532 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson's legal department strikes again
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »
GIBSON Sues FUNKO Over Unauthorized Use Of Guitar Designs In METALLICA, KISS, GUNS N' ROSES Figures

Yes, I'm sure consumers will think those little vinyl figures are holding real Gibson guitars.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson's legal department strikes again
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:17 AM »
Tugbars.
Louder bass!.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:17:37 AM »
...and the irony over the James Hetfield figure is that it is actually an ESP Explorer copy anyway. Metallica begged Gibson for an endorsement deal after they hit it big with 'Master of Puppets' and stodgy Gibson refused and lost arguably THE highest profile instrument endorser in music history.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:52:49 AM »
Their legal dept is obviously desperately trying to maintain their "own" worth or has been threatened with cuts... pathetic... truly pathetic...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »
Gibson wrote in the complaint: "The misuse of the Gibson trademarks by Funko was intended to cause, has caused, and is likely to continue to cause, consumer confusion, mistake or deception including the misleading of consumers into mistakenly believing that the defendant's unauthorized products are made directly by Gibson pursuant to Gibson's strict quality control standards or Gibson has authorized or licensed the use by Funko of the Gibson trademarks for those products."

That quote is flat out hilarious. They are turning it into a plot against Gibson. Like Dave wrote ironically, nobody will ever think Gibson had anything to do with those figures. Not even Gibson has that bad quality control that they'd put only four strings on Slash's signature Les Paul.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
If those miniatures had "Gibson" reading on those tiny headstocks, I could (barely) see their point, but they don't. If I was the judge, I'd throw their case out. Yes, Slash is known for playing "Les Paul shape guitars", a plastic figurine of him playing a Les Paul-shape guitar merely states the public domain truth.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »
That quote is flat out hilarious. They are turning it into a plot against Gibson. Like Dave wrote ironically, nobody will ever think Gibson had anything to do with those figures. Not even Gibson has that bad quality control that they'd put only four strings on Slash's signature Les Paul.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read the phrase "Gibson's strict quality control standards."

A poster at MLP started a thread a few weeks ago about ordering a particular LP variation from Sweetwater that was out of stock at the time, with more on the way. Sweetwater inspects all guitars and basses before listing them. His sales rep called and told him that the order had arrived but every one of that model had to be returned to Gibson b/c the quality was unacceptable to Sweetwater. He said that Sweetwater has to return 13% of all the Gibsons it receives, higher than any other manufacturer.

Based on my personal experience, no surprise. So much for "Gibson's strict quality control standards."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »
The headstocks on those miniatures are a good deal more shock-resitant than the real thing, just sayin'.  :popcorn:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 06:36:33 AM »
... So much for "Gibson's strict quality control standards."

These days, maybe that just means they have to ensure shoddy finishes and generally poor QC to maintain their steady roll down the hill towards mediocrity the ditch... missed that shift on the long decline... long may you ruin... (sic)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »
These days, maybe that just means they have to ensure shoddy finishes and generally poor QC to maintain their steady roll down the hill towards mediocrity the ditch... missed that shift on the long decline... long may you ruin... (sic)

Most of them are still problem free. 2017 and 2018 guitars I saw at GC recently all looked great. Still, if Sweetwater's rejection rate is accurate, it's way too high, and makes Gibson's claim of strict quality control standards laughable.

That thread I mentioned at MLP had the most bizarre example I've heard of: somebody bought an Memphis ES-LesPaul with Bigsby that had got past Gibson Memphis' QC inspectors even though they forgot to install the center block. The guy had photos of the interior taken at the top and bottom of the f-holes, you could see that it was a full hollowbody. How does that even happen?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
"Gibson's strict quality control standards"

That made me snort too although in complete fairness the quality on my G3 and NR are first rate.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
And of course Slash became famous with a Derrig LP Copy, so his signatures are a copy of a copy of an LP. The headstock of the miniatures should read Derrig :)

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
Funco should pay the licensing fees and then have all their employees have their kids choke on pieces of the guitars and sue the crap out of Gibson for it. 🤡🤡

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »
Most of them are still problem free. 2017 and 2018 guitars I saw at GC recently all looked great. Still, if Sweetwater's rejection rate is accurate, it's way too high, and makes Gibson's claim of strict quality control standards laughable.

That thread I mentioned at MLP had the most bizarre example I've heard of: somebody bought an Memphis ES-LesPaul with Bigsby that had got past Gibson Memphis' QC inspectors even though they forgot to install the center block. The guy had photos of the interior taken at the top and bottom of the f-holes, you could see that it was a full hollowbody. How does that even happen?

If it wasn't for the fact that it's accidental (and glaringly appealingly so) that would actually make me want it more.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
Probably a collectible by now.