Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Gibson's legal department strikes again

<< < (2/6) > >>

uwe:
If those miniatures had "Gibson" reading on those tiny headstocks, I could (barely) see their point, but they don't. If I was the judge, I'd throw their case out. Yes, Slash is known for playing "Les Paul shape guitars", a plastic figurine of him playing a Les Paul-shape guitar merely states the public domain truth.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: doombass on December 29, 2017, 10:42:16 AM ---That quote is flat out hilarious. They are turning it into a plot against Gibson. Like Dave wrote ironically, nobody will ever think Gibson had anything to do with those figures. Not even Gibson has that bad quality control that they'd put only four strings on Slash's signature Les Paul.

--- End quote ---

I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read the phrase "Gibson's strict quality control standards."

A poster at MLP started a thread a few weeks ago about ordering a particular LP variation from Sweetwater that was out of stock at the time, with more on the way. Sweetwater inspects all guitars and basses before listing them. His sales rep called and told him that the order had arrived but every one of that model had to be returned to Gibson b/c the quality was unacceptable to Sweetwater. He said that Sweetwater has to return 13% of all the Gibsons it receives, higher than any other manufacturer.

Based on my personal experience, no surprise. So much for "Gibson's strict quality control standards."

uwe:
The headstocks on those miniatures are a good deal more shock-resitant than the real thing, just sayin'.  :popcorn:

Highlander:

--- Quote from: Dave W on December 29, 2017, 05:09:23 PM ---... So much for "Gibson's strict quality control standards."

--- End quote ---

These days, maybe that just means they have to ensure shoddy finishes and generally poor QC to maintain their steady roll down the hill towards mediocrity the ditch... missed that shift on the long decline... long may you ruin... (sic)

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Highlander on December 30, 2017, 06:36:33 AM ---These days, maybe that just means they have to ensure shoddy finishes and generally poor QC to maintain their steady roll down the hill towards mediocrity the ditch... missed that shift on the long decline... long may you ruin... (sic)

--- End quote ---

Most of them are still problem free. 2017 and 2018 guitars I saw at GC recently all looked great. Still, if Sweetwater's rejection rate is accurate, it's way too high, and makes Gibson's claim of strict quality control standards laughable.

That thread I mentioned at MLP had the most bizarre example I've heard of: somebody bought an Memphis ES-LesPaul with Bigsby that had got past Gibson Memphis' QC inspectors even though they forgot to install the center block. The guy had photos of the interior taken at the top and bottom of the f-holes, you could see that it was a full hollowbody. How does that even happen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version