Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Gibson's legal department strikes again

<< < (4/6) > >>

Dave W:
Here's part of the guy's post.

--- Quote ---Let me tell ya a quick and sad story. Few months ago I ordered a Memphis ES-Les Paul with a Bigsby. Price was around 3K. Guitar was brand new, and this is what I've found when opened the damn case;

The guitar had no f....g center mahogany block. Was empty. Yes you are reading right. THERE WAS NO MAHOGANY CENTER BLOCK. But the guitar left the factor that way.
The guitar, without its center block, had the ABR1 bridge screwed into the thin top and every time you were using the Bigsby, the entire bridge was wobbling back and forth. But again, the guitar left the factory that way.
That same guitar had the Bigsby completely crooked at an angle, off axis, so there were a mental tension pulling string on a side. And yes, again, the guitar left the factory that way.
Checklist was all "all good to go". This means nobody EVER checked this guitar, so that checklist was totally fake. I'm not saying that is the standard, but that is not about "the mistake of a man". This is more than that...there is some very shabby approach overall that allow crap like that happening.
--- End quote ---

Here's his inspection camera video of the insides, showing no center block.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mknyazz0nzf6qh/No_CenterBlock_Inspection.MOV?dl=0

uwe:
Ouch - a sure sign of a place to work where people are so unhappy they just don't care anymore.

Perhaps, somewhere out there ... there is now a Memphis hollow-body with two center blocks (kinda crowded)?

It all averages out in the end.  :mrgreen:

OTOH, how do we know the center block didn't get lost during shipping? I suspect sloppy logistics behind all of this.  :rimshot:

Basvarken:
The pictures show the same sort of semi center block that the Les Paul Signature and Jack Casady Signature have. The length grooves and all.
If you ask me, it is a feature rather than a failure.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Basvarken on January 26, 2018, 09:40:00 AM ---The pictures show the same sort of semi center block that the Les Paul Signature and Jack Casady Signature have. The length grooves and all.
If you ask me, it is a feature rather than a failure.

--- End quote ---

Isn't that just the underside of the top? According to Gibson, it's a semi-hollow with a center block. Or at least it's supposed to be.

Alanko:
Yeah the view inside that Les Paul reminds me of the view inside my Jack Casady. Maybe it was an experiment, prototype or other one-off? It looks too intentional, and surely way too big an oversight to have missed it?

I've read of ES-355s built with the center block the wrong way round. As such the wiring holes for each pickup is on the wrong side, feeding nicely into the bass-side cavity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version