Author Topic: NBD!!!  (Read 3575 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: NBD!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
Youth is wasted on the young... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
Nice Denis!! I ordered what appears to be the last ebony Epi from Sweetwater yesterday. They said it should ship on Tues. Pretty excited!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
Nice! They must have gotten a couple more in since ordered mine. It was the last ebony at the time!
You'll love it!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
They must be flying out of there as soon as they arrive.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
They must be flying out of there as soon as they arrive.

That's certainly my impression. Looks like the white ones are first to go, then the black ones, then the bursts.
Clocks.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 05:32:57 PM »
According to the site they had 4 bursts in stock when I ordered mine. Mine said it weighs 8 lbs 13 oz so should be relatively light.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
According to the site they had 4 bursts in stock when I ordered mine. Mine said it weighs 8 lbs 13 oz so should be relatively light.

I like that they put the weight on there and pics of each bass so you can compare and decide which you prefer. If I remember correctly, one of he bursts available when I ordered my ebony weighed a hair over 9lbs and was the heaviest of all of them.

When I was looking at the two ebonies on there while deciding which to order, the noticeable visual difference was in the fretboard color. Someone got the one with the darker fretboard, which was fine with me: I wanted the lighter one anyway!
Clocks.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 05:24:41 PM »
Mine looks like it has a nice dark fingerboard, which I like.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »
There are only two negative reviews at Sweetwater, both on the Ebony listing. Curious that they are the only two where the name just says Customer. Suspicious?

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
If they are willing to post a review, why not put their name on it? Both mention the "blah" pickups so makes me wonder if its the same person. I will trust people like Scott's opinion over an anonymous reviewer and his "panel of five". Plus if it shows up and its a dog I can return it. Not worried about it. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »
If they are willing to post a review, why not put their name on it? Both mention the "blah" pickups so makes me wonder if its the same person. I will trust people like Scott's opinion over an anonymous reviewer and his "panel of five". Plus if it shows up and its a dog I can return it. Not worried about it.

Exactly. With any bass, there will always be some people who won't like the pickups or some other feature. That's normal. OTOH these two look bogus. Anonymous on a site where you don't have to give your full name anyway, similar language, and that "panel of five" sounds fishy. Also, one of them mentions Thunderbuckers. I wonder what the motivation might be.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 09:18:55 PM »
I played an ebony one through an svt and fridge .Didn't sound blah to me.Would have to A B with my thunderbucker equipped bass but i think they are in the zone for sure.
Louder bass!.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
My Vintage Pro arrived yesterday. I haven't had a lot of time playing it thru my amps but it sounded nice and lively to me. Compared it to my 2001 Gibson and there is definitely a difference between the sounds. The 2001 sounds deeper and more bassy to my ears while the Epi sounded brighter and pretty growly to me. Keep in mind that the strings are new on the Epi and old on the Gibson so I am sure that makes a difference.

Fit and finish are fantastic! The finish is flawless and no sharp fret ends. Also feels like the fretboard edges are rounded over which most imports don't seem to have. I could be wrong but the body edges feel more rounded than any of my Gibson, Epi, or Hamer Birds.

So far I am really happy with it and think that for the money it is a bargain. It plays and feels better than most new US made basses I have tested in recent times.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 03:38:03 AM »
Congrats!