Author Topic: Epi Embassy Pro and Masterbilt Acoustic bass  (Read 1140 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Epi Embassy Pro and Masterbilt Acoustic bass
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
I've visited the Dutch Gibson artist showroom in Amsterdam today. The place where Rob had his book presentation. It's close to work, so I drop in once in a while. Both employees are bass players and I know them before they went to Gibson. Nice guys. I tried the new Embassy and the Masterbilt acoustic.

Masterbilt. Nice looking! Very well made. A European price around 1000 euros. It has nylon tapewound strings, the tuners are closed and look like old Dutch Van Gent tuners, which were mounted on Burns basses. The amber-ish one looks really fifties and really nice. The burst too, but I preffered the dark natural. The lower f-hole has volume and tone, with a click in the middle and I think a low boost and cut. A nice bass, really well made, but not my cup of tea. So I went to play a red JCS (nice!), an EB and....

An off white Embassy (also a black one, but I dislike black basses in general). And I'm in love. Only euros in Europe so the same as the upper marktet Squiers. Downsides: modern tuners, 2+2 neck (looks good on the bass) and a enlonged upper horn, which also looks good in real life. The horns are strangely (in a nice way) sanded. A bit like a Rick with a more squared end. So no real downsides! The nice things: A really nice set neck, very light, because of a thin body. It played so easy, that I checked it was really 34" and not 32 ör 30". It has the original control knobs which look good and the Tbird pickups are placed upon a black surrounding to get them a bit closer to the strings. It balances good (strap button above 12th fret) and as I said it's light. Easy to use the front pickup as a thumb rest.

The sound: really nice!! The controls are volume, balance (click in middle) and tone. The bridge pickup soloed is nothing special, like most bridge pickups. Both on is warm, but never muddy. Just warm and still pushy and muddy, so a real Tbird character. A bit of to the neck or neck only is even more middy and growly. But still warm and fat. I'm sure it'll blow away any P. Reall Tbird is: Character, warm, mid-heavy, so I think it'll sound great with guitars, cutting through the mix and still offering a big foundation. The notes are very even on all all strings all over the board. Much more even than on a Fender.

In comparison I A/B'd it with a JCS and a modern EB. JCS warmer, fatter and muddier and a rounder tone. So the Embassy more pushy warm, more even sustain. The EB has a lot of maple and it's much thinner sounding. I liked the Embassy better.

So yes, I'm in love. I have a Tbird and 399 is not much, I like the off white a lot, so it's a serious candidate for a future bass..... Shit :)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Epi Embassy Pro and Masterbilt Acoustic bass
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
Thanx Chris. Now I'm even more sure that I need a Vintage Pro Thunderbird.  :mrgreen:

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
I need to find 1000 euros for two Epi. I actually need 2000 for four. Still in love with Casady and Allen Woody.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
Nice review!
From the review I watched/heard on YouTube I was really impressed by the Embassy's sound. And for that money, a real deal.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »
If they decide to make a lefty Embassy or Thunderbird I'm in trouble!
Louder bass!.