Author Topic: Hamer 8 string in action  (Read 8936 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Hamer 8 string in action
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
Speaking of the Ox, how about the "lead" part and solo on this one?  (Sounds like there is a more conventional bass part overdubbed too). I'm not sure if there are other recorded examples of Entwistle on 8-string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6fFtWi318s&list=RDv6fFtWi318s&t=25
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
Succes Story is 8-string too?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »
He basically plays rhythm guitar on Trick of the Light and if you asks me, his bass sounds like it too, like a slightly overdriven, middish baritone guitar. :-X

Je suis unexcited. The most redeeming aspect is Simon Phillips, the best drummer The Who ever had bar none. But I'm the first to admit that I prefer The Who's studio output to their live sound.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
Uh. The one I posted was a Keith Moon recording.  Simon Philips was nowhere involved.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
"Success Story" is all bass, an 8-string Ric and a solo on a Fenderbird or Explorerbird.

Simon Phillips was probably the best drummer they had technically but I think even he would have admitted that nobody replaces Keith Moon. Which is a good thing too, the world isn't ready for another Moonie. :D

Phillips is superb on Pete's solo albums. Especially on "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes".

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
He wouldn't have lasted long with a Southern Rock band.

Maybe he does it on purpose. To save him from playing in a Southern Rock band. Just in case.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »
"Simon Phillips was probably the best drummer they had technically ..."

SP has great chops, but you can't reduce him to just that, he is really dynamic on the drums, delicate in one moment, "CRASH!!! BANG!!! WALLOP!!!" in the next, he communicates with his drums to the music he hears in a way only Ginger Baker can (to be fair, I hear a lot of Ian Paice in SP too, that is why I found his drumming style on his sophomoric work with Judas Priest and the 1st David Coverdale solo album immediately appealing). He has heart and feeling in his playing and a very musicianly ear and enthusiasm.

Of course Moonie was an original, no one can take that away from him. It was Cozy Powell who once said about him: "Keith Moon wasn't really a very good drummer, live he was all over the place, the double bass drum was mainly show, but he contributed enormously to the perception of the rock drummer and we all thrive off that."

And when he died something died with The Who they could never resurrect. Kenny Jones - a fine drummer in his own comfort zone - was an incredibly ill choice as a replacement. JAE (for decades schooled to ignore what Moon did and get on with his bass playing instead) just played "over" Jones as if he were a drum machine.

Good as he is, SP one thing cannot: drum with a West Coast feel. Any version with him drumming the Rosanna intro makes me wince. For some reason, only the late Jeff P could do that right.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:03:10 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
Maybe he does it on purpose. To save him from playing in a Southern Rock band. Just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTzv9ADlJzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIkQ2qOeQc

One Explorer does not a Lynyrd Skynyrd make!  8)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »
I will not be baited into discussing silly notions like Simon Philips being a good match for The Who :-o

Instead I will say thanks DMN for posting another great Zep track. I never realized there was 8-string on this album! I had assumed there were doubled guitar lines, but this makes much more sense sonically, and now I can't un-hear it :)
And of course well documented on the interwebs now that I'm looking: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/860

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 05:34:50 AM »
"Simon Phillips was probably the best drummer they had technically ..."

SP has great chops, but you can't reduce him to just that

I don't and I really am a big fan of his playing. I don't care for Toto but I love his playing on for example "801 Live", Mike Rutherford's "A Smallcreep's Day", Gary Moore's "Back On The Streets" and the aforementioned Pete Townshend albums. "Give Blood" is an amazing drum track by him.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »

Instead I will say thanks DMN for posting another great Zep track. I never realized there was 8-string on this album! I had assumed there were doubled guitar lines, but this makes much more sense sonically, and now I can't un-hear it :)
And of course well documented on the interwebs now that I'm looking: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/860

It's on "Achilles", "Nobody's Fault" and "Royal Orleans", am I right? I used to be sure that he used a Hagström HB8 on "Presence" but did he already had the Triple Omega by late '75? Anyway, a great sound.
EDIT: He did, I should have opened your link...

How about "Ozone Baby"? I think it's an 8-string or then he really cranked up the Alembic's high frequencies

And Chris Squire had very creative way to use an 8-string with Yes and on his solo album. This track features his potatohead Ric 8-string and a non-reverse T-Bird IV plus some doubleneck Gibson EB at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2WYvryNoZM

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
Are you saying he had the triple omega for the recording? I thought it was the Hagstron, but could definitely be wrong. I love playing Hots On For Nowhere on 8 string. Not easy! In fact, there are tons of Zep riffs that work great on an 8. Black Dog is another.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
Are you saying he had the triple omega for the recording? I thought it was the Hagstron, but could definitely be wrong. I love playing Hots On For Nowhere on 8 string. Not easy! In fact, there are tons of Zep riffs that work great on an 8. Black Dog is another.

According to this it was:
http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/860

But Jones also claimed he started to use roundwounds with all his basses in the late '60s but in the Guitar Player interview in 1977 he said he always used flats for his Jazz (and he did, just look and hear "The Song Remains The Same" flick) and even tried them on his Alembic but "they sort of killed it". So it's at least an 8-string on half of "Presence". :)

What's your verdict on "Ozone Baby", eight or four?  Couldn't find a youtube link that worked so you have to walk to your cd/vinyl shelf and put "Coda" on. :D

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
I love playing Hots On For Nowhere on 8 string. Not easy! In fact, there are tons of Zep riffs that work great on an 8. Black Dog is another.

I love how "Presence" is mixed, at least for "Royal Orleans" and "Nobody's Fault". When you turn down the other channel you can almost hear Jones and Bonham exclusively (playing with Plant, of course).

And I agree with the riffs, lots of good stuff for an 8 or 12. With a dropped-D tuning "Kashmir" works great. Especially Kevin Gilbert's amazing version.