Author Topic: Hamer 8 string in action  (Read 8941 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Hamer 8 string in action
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 05:39:36 AM »
The more I watch that Rockpile video the more I feel a little sorry for them. They seem formed along earlier 'pub rock' lines so, after punk picked up and took over, they seem a bit tired looking. Four English blokes making music that has a vague American edge to it (which would annoy the punks) but perhaps not hard enough or technical enough for a rock audience.

I agree that Greg Lake was a remarkable player. Definitely one of the fastest and most precise pick players, choosing to use a tone that would have revealed every mistake, flaw and fluff. I'm not a big fan of that ultra-scooped Alembic tone, but I can always tell when it is him! He also had quite an unorthodox role in the band (do you need a bassist with Keith's synth battery?), but made himself heard!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 03:53:06 PM »
Ironically, I found his bass playing always perfunctory, technically perfect, but perfunctory! I hear nothing daring, happy-go-lucky and inspired like in Chris Squire's sonic Ric attacks in it. To me, Lake put all emotion in his voice (and his acoustic guitar playing), but not in his bass playing which was more of an afterthought to him. He was not "naturally over-busy, yet groovy" like Geddy Lee either, I always thought that his bass parts sounded like Keith Emerson wrote them out for him. A bit dead really.

I listen to a lot of ELP lately, but nothing Lake ever did on bass puts a grin on my face. He does what the overtly complex music requires and fills the space Emerson (50%) and Palmer (35%) left for him competently. That's not knocking him, I think that was kind of their mutual musical agreement right from the start, Lake (a guitarist at heart) did not join them to play bass, he played bass because the other two thought they needed a bass player for their trio concept.

I also hear none of the playfulness in Lake's playing that is so evident in what Jack Bruce does here (in a piece of music not entirely dissimilar to what ELP did):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hArxWwTVlXc

But I'm not saying that he is not an excellent technical player!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:58:30 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
The more I watch that Rockpile video the more I feel a little sorry for them. They seem formed along earlier 'pub rock' lines so, after punk picked up and took over, they seem a bit tired looking. Four English blokes making music that has a vague American edge to it (which would annoy the punks) but perhaps not hard enough or technical enough for a rock audience.

When I read Top 10 Dave Edmunds Songs from earlier this year, this sentence jumped out at me: "Edmunds' roots date to the first wave of rock 'n' rollers like Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and the Everly Brothers, and that's the place he's called home most often." That's why I like him so much, and if you understand that, it may help to understand his music better.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcNUz4njCo8

Lowe's partly to blame for my Hamer fetish.  A well deserved obsession, if I do say  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Great video, Joe, hadn't seen that one.  :thumbsup:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
As far as best recorded 8-string sounds, I'd have to go with Achilles Last Stand, Spanish Castle Magic and You Got Me Floating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t4KLOm7pO0&ab_channel=LedZeppelin-Topic

And here's the isolated bass for You Got Me Floatin': http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3yyjcg

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
And here's the isolated bass for You Got Me Floatin': http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3yyjcg
Wow. Thanks.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »
Am I the only one here that's seen them...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 08:17:57 AM »
Wow. Thanks.

+1

Who played that Hendrix bass track?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
My guess is Jimi Hendrix himself.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
Could be.Bit there seems to be some spill on there from guitar and drums so it may have been done live.
Louder bass!.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »
As far as I know, Noel Redding did play the bass to "You Got Me Floatin'".  But Hendrix went back and rerecorded portions of the bass lines to "Spanish Castle Magic" and the final song on the Axis album--"Bold as Love."  This is at least according to John McDermott.  I think there are others, though, who disagree with this and claim Noel Redding played bass on the whole album. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 02:35:48 AM »
And it goes to show that you don't really "hear" the double-octave characteristic of an 8 string bass (just like you don't "hear" it in almost all Cheap Trick songs) unless you dial in an extreme sound or play it with a lot of distortion/effects. To my ears, the best 8 string bass sound captured on a popular recording is still this one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zurZig4L8

In fairness: Probably aided to a large part by the fact that with ELP there was no guitar to get in the way of that 8-string sound! You can hear that Lake essentially "strums" that Alembic like an acoustic guitar for percussive effect (which sounds nice).

Greg was great but I hate his squeaky clean eight string tone. John Entwistle had a much better sound with Alembic basses.

The reason you don't hear the 12-string bass on almost all Cheap Trick songs is because it isn't there. When it is, it is usually heard quite easily. For example "Gonna Raise Hell" (an 8-string) or lots of tracks on their excellent 1997 release "Cheap Trick". Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm71vrr9f88
(God I hate those synthetic horns. Ruins a great song).

I agree that the octave string bass is best when it has space or when it has a massive sound like Petersson and Entwistle had on stage, not to mention Doug Pinnick whose tone with the 4-string is almost the same. :) I've been doing duo gigs with a singer/guitarist who plays an acoustic with occasional effects. 12-string bass is a perfect tool for that setting.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
Yeah, that sounds like 8 string, also a little clumsy as 8-string often does (if you play rhythmic with it), you are just not as nimble with it even as an experienced bass player.

You dislike the synthetic horns, I disdain the totally wanton key changes (I heard three in the song, none of them good, smart or elegant)! It's something I largely blame Nielsen for. That and playing minor key solos where he should be playing major keys. He wouldn't have lasted long with a Southern Rock band.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:56:24 AM by uwe »