Author Topic: Massive Stars Guitars Auction Saturday  (Read 2632 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Massive Stars Guitars Auction Saturday
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
That beard had a creepy shamanic thing going on with it. I wouldn't want it in the house!

I like the Stone Roses, and there will be old Generation X-ers out there who grew up listening to I Am The Resurrection and who wants one of Mani's basses as a result.

I does slightly wrangle for me that these artists can basically hock their old knackered gear for big money. If Mani was really going for it he would sell the Jackson Pollock'd 4005 he played back in the day, or maybe one of his 3001 basses. The stuff he's selling isn't his iconic gear, just stuff he's finished with, so I hope the pricing reflects on this.

J. Mascis is maybe one worse. His whole deal was that he found old unloved Jazzmasters in pawnshops and bought them for buttons. His whole signal chain was a collection of old, worn-out and bodged together. Instead of 'passing it on' he's simply flogging his random old junk for big money. It seems a tad opportunistic.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
Mani Tee...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
I wouldn't have known who Mani is if Chris P. hadn't talked about him here. Regardless, some people will pay big money for signed or unsigned instruments from people they admire. I have no problem with that.

Remember the Johnny Winter auction? His cowboy hat sold for $14,000 and his beard hair for $1,400.

Me neither; fair is fair.  But the J Mascis one was just a ridiculous cash grab. He had a few cool things and then 5 more pages full of garbage priced 10 times it's worth if working (but it was broken; or just really low end)  AND not even a signature  (which I don't care for but if you put up a cracked tom shell with no hardware for a couple hundred then at least sign the mofo).  I forgot to go back and check if any of it actually sold, but I didn't want to know if there were people that stupid out there who make that much more money than me because it would just make me angry.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
Me neither; fair is fair.  But the J Mascis one was just a ridiculous cash grab. He had a few cool things and then 5 more pages full of garbage priced 10 times it's worth if working (but it was broken; or just really low end)  AND not even a signature  (which I don't care for but if you put up a cracked tom shell with no hardware for a couple hundred then at least sign the mofo).  I forgot to go back and check if any of it actually sold, but I didn't want to know if there were people that stupid out there who make that much more money than me because it would just make me angry.

I didn't look at his Reverb store, but it doesn't surprise me. I had looked at a few others when they appeared in the Reverb newsletter and never saw anything iconic. Just artists trying to get rid of their unwanted gear at a premium. NTTAWWT.