Main Forums > The Bass Zone

String Voodoo

<< < (2/4) > >>

Alanko:
Restringing the B might have unintentionally set the witness point correctly over the nut, as this point would be slightly weaker on the string from the first stringing?

Pilgrim:
String was probably twisted and the re-installation allowed it to lie correctly.

doombass:
I've never bothered waiting overnight no matter if it's about trussrod adjustment or string change. I've sometimes changed strings before soundcheck when gigging (but only when changing to the same type strings). I always help the string by hand to form the correct angle over the bridge saddle. I never wind the string by hand around the tuner post (ie not using the tuner key) unless I can hook up the ball end afterwards (like Gibson 3-point bridges). Otherwise the string gets twisted in the length direction. Then tune to pitch and stretch and repeat that several times.

Granny Gremlin:
The last time I changed strings the day of a gig, I had to retune after every song.  It's actually a generally accepted best practise to not do that.  Even touring 'pros' (mostly guitar vs bass) who change strings for every gig don't do it right before the gig (but rather after the last gig).  They are also very good with the manual stretching (jope y'all know what I mean by that).

Pilgrim:
I have the simple solution: play flats, install once, use them for the life of the bass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version