Author Topic: Another EB price drop  (Read 1401 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Another EB price drop
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
At American Musical, the 2017 EB 4 string has dropped to $799. The 5 string is now $899.

They also have a "minor blemish" 2015 SG Standard Bass for $950.

Blackbird

• View Profile
Re: Another EB price drop
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
Best buy where I'm at here in canada had a demo one for about 499US, the other one was about 599 and then there was a 5'er.  Can't say I was overly impressed with them tho.  They kinda had a cheap import feel to them in a way. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:37:57 PM »
Best buy where I'm at here in canada had a demo one for about 499US, the other one was about 599 and then there was a 5'er.  Can't say I was overly impressed with them tho.  They kinda had a cheap import feel to them in a way.

Best Buy in Canada still has instruments in their retail stores? That's surprising. Maybe there's fewer retail competitors.

You're entitled to you opinion, of course, but I can't agree. I've played the one in a local store twice, a natural 4. IMHO the tone is head and shoulders above even the more expensive imports. The feel is of a much more expensive bass. I didn't care for the sunburst finish on the 5er they had, it didn't look good to me in a matte, but otherwise I think they're excellent, especially considering the price.

The problem is that there's nothing about them that says Gibson except the name on the headstock. If this were 1967, these could be starting a legacy. Unfortunately, it's 2017, and Gibson buyers want something that reminds them of traditional Gibson design. That's just the way it is.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »
I've said it before, they are (to me) visually at best non-descript, at worst butt-ugly (the newer double-octave version is somewhat less horrible than the older one), but they have a great responsive sound. Blurrier than what you would regularly fiind today, but with enough treble bite to separate it from a purely vintage market.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
I think the earlier shape is cool in a quirky kitsch sort of way.

cross between Mosrite and T Bird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Both versions look fine, they just don't look like anything Gibson has done before.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
I saw a dual-humbucker Fender Dimension the other day, kind of reminded me of both EB flavors somehow.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy