Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

I had my Dilbert moment today ...

(1/3) > >>

uwe:

Our law firm is getting new IT hardware, lawyers ("fee earners") will receive laptops as opposed to desktop computers. You get to choose between two types. I wanted neither - I never take laptops with me anywhere nor have I ever owned one, if I need to do something mobile, I use my BlackBerry. So I write an email to the good people of our IT department: "A laptop with me is really a waste, can't I have a desktop like anybody else in this firm has who is not a lawyer?"

And this is what the good people of our IT department write:

Thank you for your inquiry. According to our Global Strategy (----> Global Strategy link in our Intranet) laptops are mandatory for fee earners "to nurture a willingness to be innovative, agile, dynamic and disciplined".

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ok, I then felt suitably empowered (as well as - I hasten to add - fully aligned with our Global Strategy in whatever current version it may exist) and just wrote back that the concept of "innovative, agile, dynamic & disciplined" was really only an update of the age-old principles of "sex & drugs & rock'n'roll" and could I please have my mandatory laptop then clad in leather with studs? (They replied they would give it a try, but that Judas Priest was a high benchmark to meet.)

Dave W:
You can always connect a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse. That way the laptop functions the same as a desktop tower, and you can revel in being the most prominent curmudgeon in your office.

uwe:
 :mrgreen:

66Atlas:
Went through that a few years ago, the laptop never left my office.  My current company has taken the next leap and moved everything to "the cloud" (I hate that phrase).  Their rational is then we can be forced to access all files at any time no matter where we are.

But how do I put leather and studs on a cloud?

Highlander:
As DW said... even with multiple screens... LBO can be permanantly set to one of the three screens... :vader:

(oops... doesn't quite fit on the desk-top...)
Leather and studding comes as an extra... but all the best bass-players would approve...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version