Author Topic: Bass Player's Rant About the RRHOF  (Read 1342 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Bass Player's Rant About the RRHOF
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
This probably could have been said more concisely, but here is an article that may be of interest to some. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-bass-players-rant-33-who-belong-in-the-rock-and_us_5a04fc00e4b0cc46c52e6951

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Bass Player's Rant About the RRHOF
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »
I don't care what he says because he plays a Stingray.  :mrgreen:

For me, the Stingray marks the point that bass technology and design started going in the wrong direction. That stubby bridge-position active tone became the norm, and tones became thinner, percussive and less rich as a result. Not for me. This is the point that bass playing became a rhythmic pursuit rather than a melodic one, and a wealth of knowledge and judgement garnered by the prog rock bands was thrown out the window in place of all that 'always on the one' tedium.

Anyway...

Anybody wasting calories on the RRHOF is a bit of an idiot. The place is a museum, not a governing body. The bands in the 'hall of fame' aren't accredited rockstars at the end of the ordeal. Alice Cooper became a chartered rock singer in 2011? The place gets endless free promotion from dullards complaining about who is, and who isn't, in the RRHOF. Occasionally they let a rap band or other undeserving entity into the hall of fame, expressly to drum up a bit of anger. Anger equates to free publicity.

I suppose the RRHOF is the Guggenheim for gas jockeys and the Smithsonian for short order cooks, but it is just museum! Rooms full of old guitars, notebooks, stage clothes etc. As I've said elsewhere, I'm sure the toilets are clean and I'm sure the restaurant does a reasonable burger. That is all that anybody needs to worry about.

It seems to be the norm for a RRHOF thread to kick off on Talkbass every six months or so, as somebody else allows their righteous indignation to boil over. Such people are remarkably easy to wind up, even if they don't see the joke:

How come Bill Haley is in the RRHOF but Stryper aren't?

How come Bruce Springsteen is in there, but GG Allin isn't?

When will the RRHOF recognise the contribution Wall of Voodoo made to rock music?

Why are Steely Dan even in the RRHOF?

Why are Lynyrd Skynyrd still in there? They didn't even play on their own records! It was the dudes out the Alice Cooper band!

How come Bobby Womack is in there? Can you say 'one hit wonder'?

etc, ad nauseum.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:27:59 PM »
The foreword tells you it's not to be taken seriously. That's all you need to know.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »
Its nice to see someone finally recognize the musical genius of Rudy Sarzo's work. Usually people just focus on him touring for records he didn't play on and licking his bass.  ;D

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
I liked the bits concerning Ken Burns and Frank Zappa.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
I liked the bits concerning Ken Burns and Frank Zappa.

Especially the Ken Burns line.