Author Topic: For Dave: Yet another C&W authenticity test ...  (Read 8307 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: For Dave: Yet another C&W authenticity test ...
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
Keith Urban...? Isn't he in Star Trek...? :mrgreen:

If Keith Urban ended up playing a character on "Star Trek Discovery," I wouldn't know about it.  Because in the U.S. you have to pay a subscription fee on CBS All Access.  It's my understanding that in Europe you can watch it on Netflix, no extra charge.  That should be interesting, though.  He could play the chief engineer with an Australian accent who sings country songs.   ;D
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »
The pretty boys of new country could learn something from Cyndi Lauper's authentic vocals.  I'm just wondering if they have any idea how awful they really sound.  Evidently not.

Cyndi is very strange but she has the pipes to pull off just about any style, and if anything she's gotten better with age.

The old days were fun, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfvLpo2On7I

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
^
It makes sense that her signature song was "Girls Just Want To Have Fun," but I like this one more.  Since then she has shown that going from one genre to another doesn't faze her. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we7z7PYp19I
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:53:51 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2017, 12:56:20 AM »
Cyndi rules!  To derail this thread even further, this is one of my favorites from back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp4suZ4jNXg
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
She Bop was supposedly about female masturbation.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

The video was shown a lot on MTV and there are all kinds of hints throughout the song.  I like the song mostly because of the melody, though.  The lyrics could have been about anything.  It's strange that in spite of all this, it's Madonna that became more of the figure in the 80s associated with sex.  Much more so than Cyndi Lauper.  I was just reading some stuff a few minutes ago and it seems Cyndi Lauper started losing her popularity pretty quickly by the late 80s.  I don't know exactly what happened because I never really kept up with her career.  Also, there seem to be very few clips of live performances from the 80s.  Her fans claim that a lot of good performances have been lost forever. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »

Don't play with food.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
A friend of mine used to play in a band called Slap The Fish... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...