Author Topic: Saw King Crimson here Oct 26  (Read 3939 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Saw King Crimson here Oct 26
« on: October 29, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
So, King Crimson. I'd never seen them before but listened to a lot of their music in high school and college, so when I learned they were going to be in town there was no way I was going to miss it. It was the first time King Crimson played in Raleigh since March 29, 1972 when they performed in Dorton Arena.

I'm glad I went and immediately wished they were playing for two nights.

The show was incredible. The music was delicate, brutal, technical, warm, dissonant, orchestrated, beautiful, unnerving, cacophonous, melodic, brilliant.
It was an assault.

Here's the setlist from the show.

Drumson Werning - Robert Fripp's Announcement
Intro: Islands Coda

Set 1:
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Pictures of a City
Cirkus
Neurotica
Epitaph
Fallen Angel
Drumson Outbreak of Wonderment, Joy & Bliss Arising
The Letters
Breathless
(Robert Fripp song)
Islands
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two

Set 2:
Indiscipline
The ConstruKction of Light
(part 1 only)
Moonchild
('The Dream' part only;… more )
The Court of the Crimson King
Hell Hounds of Krim
Easy Money
Lizard
("(c) The Battle of Glass… more )
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

Encore:
21st Century Schizoid Man
(with Gavin Harrison drum solo)

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Saw King Crimson here Oct 26
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to try to make one of the shows, but the closest one is the day after Thanksgiving family weekend.

I did see them at the Chicago Amphitheater from the first row of the first balcony about the time of Larks Tongue in Aspic (mid-seventies) and it was fantastic.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »
Wow how cool.The current lineup sounds like it is firing on all cylinders,not too surprising i suppose.The chances of seeing them out here in New Zealand are pretty remote but mustn't grumble as i saw them in 2000 at Shepherds Bush Empire.
Louder bass!.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
The music was delicate, brutal, technical, warm, dissonant, orchestrated, beautiful, unnerving, cacophonous, melodic, brilliant.
It was an assault.

Sounds like King Crimson! Kicking myself for not going when they played here in Chicago. Haven't seen them since the "double trio" days in the 90s.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:47:13 AM »
Sounds like King Crimson! Kicking myself for not going when they played here in Chicago. Haven't seen them since the "double trio" days in the 90s.

If you're talking about the June 28, 2017 Chicago show, KC recorded it is selling a really nice double CD set of it for $20! WELL WORTH IT!!!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
That is an awesome setlist! I didn't realise they were plundering their '70s output so rigorously. Who is playing bass, and is their tone as rich as John Wetton's?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
It is Tony Levin, and has been for decades.
I must confess I haven't heard the band in a long long time, but I follow him on Facebook so I've seen some cool tour photography, as one expects from Levin.
https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/king-crimson-2017-tour-pt2/
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
Great band. The greatest in circulation. Seen them one year ago in Milan for my third time. Simply unbelievable. I am a great collector of their recordings and have more than 1500 of them. Not sure if I am the greatest in the world but none of the KC collectors that I know beats me. The most common sentence I hear is “I was thinking that my collection was quite complete”. If any of you taped the concert just pm me in private
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
Tony Levin is a great player, but his style is nothing like Wetton's who - King Crimson Red era - was an extremely busy and aggressive player. Levin is all economical, the "what you leave out is more important than what you play"-school. He's also behind the beat (as many session musicians are, comes from all the studio practice probably) whereas Wetton was always pushing forward.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
Tony Levin is a great player, but his style is nothing like Wetton's who - King Crimson Red era - was an extremely busy and aggressive player. Levin is all economical, the "what you leave out is more important than what you play"-school. He's also behind the beat (as many session musicians are, comes from all the studio practice probably) whereas Wetton was always pushing forward.

That's interesting.  I didn't know many studio musicians played behind the beat.  I would have thought it might be the other way around.  When I think of playing ahead of the beat, I associate that with innovative and complex bass lines.  Jack Bruce would be an example.  I usually enjoy listening to that.  I like, for instance, somebody like Carl Radle, too.  His bass on GH's "The Art of Dying" is kind of hypnotic and behind the beat.  Somehow, though, playing behind the beat was ingrained in me from my youth.  If I try to change that, it usually doesn't turn out very well. 

This is not meant to detract from King Crimson, but here is one more example specifically dealing with the playing behind or ahead of the beat issue (which I actually wasn't expecting to find.)

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/10/26/playing-ahead-or-behind-the-beat/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:02:11 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 06:54:11 AM »
Cool, so next time someone I'm playing with says I'm dragging, I can just say I was just trying to do some groovy slugging!  ;D
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
I guess if you spend your life in studios recording, do little live work, are relaxed with the recording situation and understand your role as not being the most important one on the recording, being subdued slightly behind the beat is a natural development.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
I don't personally think of playing behind the beat as something that's part of being secondary or subdued.  But maybe I'm not looking at the whole picture.  He joked around so much, I'm not even sure how serious he was, but I once talked to a recording engineer with a small studio who had worked with a few noteworthy people, though, like Gregg Allman.  The engineer was also a bassist.  But the point is he was saying the main difference between Northern and Southern studios is that bassists associated with Southern rock tended to play behind the beat.  He seemed to act like that was something he preferred.  I don't think of Leon Wilkeson or Berry Oakley as subdued.  But especially if you're in a band with Duane Allman, it might be difficult to get the limelight.  I like how Berry Oakley sounded, though, particularly in some of those live recordings.  But I've never noticed whether he was playing behind the beat or not. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
Cool, so next time someone I'm playing with says I'm dragging, I can just say I was just trying to do some groovy slugging!  ;D

At one place where I used to go, some of the people actually thought that playing behind the beat meant a person didn't have good timing.  They were serious.  On the other hand, doing it all the time might not necessarily be a good thing.  Variety is the spice of life, to use a cliche. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:07:27 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
For me it isn't whether I'm behind or on-top-of or pushing it. Being locked into the drummer is the key. My drummer of nearly 40 years is a rock and roll guy all the way, but he's quite capable of playing most genres. Typically though he's usually just a bit behind. When we're synced up it never sounds like it's dragging or too slow. In those instances when I think it might be a little too behind, I hear recordings and it sounds rock solid, even as I distinctly remember thinking it not being quite so at the time.

Whatever part of the rhythmic structure you're in, being synchronized is what makes it work. You don't want to get too far away in either direction while maintaining a groove.
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com