Author Topic: Music Man St. Vincent Bass  (Read 3867 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Music Man St. Vincent Bass
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
Since the release of the Music Man St. Vincent I'm a big fan of the shape. And I'm a big fan of hers. Yesterday I talked to her in The Netherlands and she's really cool! A total guitar nerd, knowing everything about wood, pickups and valves/tubes. Nice. I told her it's a pity there's no bass and she told me they're designing a bass version! A scoop, I thought, but she tells it in the vid below.
But still cool news and I hope EBMM doesn't f*ck it up by making it a PJ.

https://www.facebook.com/Ernie.Ball.Music.Man/videos/10154969903976340/

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Music Man St. Vincent Bass
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
Since the release of the Music Man St. Vincent I'm a big fan of the shape. And I'm a big fan of hers. Yesterday I talked to her in The Netherlands and she's really cool! A total guitar nerd, knowing everything about wood, pickups and valves/tubes. Nice. I told her it's a pity there's no bass and she told me they're designing a bass version! A scoop, I thought, but she tells it in the vid below.
But still cool news and I hope EBMM doesn't f*ck it up by making it a PJ.

https://www.facebook.com/Ernie.Ball.Music.Man/videos/10154969903976340/

I watched that vid when it came out and I recall no mention of it, but maybe it was just a quick tangent and I missed it; still a scoop IMHO.

All they gotta do is make it an exact copy but 4 banger bass (I will forgive them for dropping the trem)- which means Tbird pups or some other chromey soap bar style thing vs PJ.  PJ is the easy way out, but luckily Musicman don't usually default to that.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »
I hope it fares better than their Big Al bass.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure St. Vincent doesn't use a bassist live? I saw a bunch of live videos of her a while ago, but nothing recently... this doesn't bode well.  :mrgreen:

I tried one of her signature guitars a while back, and it was pretty cool. I don't remember much about it, beyond the neck being entirely made of rosewood and only given a minimal oil finish. I wish I could remember more... the wee minibuckers seemed like an unusual choice.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 02:11:33 AM »
Not stirred musically or visually... each to their own...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:58:31 AM »
Not stirred musically or visually... each to their own...

Nor I, but she and the guitar are successes so no doubt they're hoping for the same with the bass. I'm skeptical.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »
But why the medium scale? That will be a no go for many bass players.
Many find medium scale neither fish nor flesh...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
I love medium scale and I think it's best of both worlds, rather than fish nor flesh. But that's a matter of taste. And you are right: most people want a 34" and a Fender design. I guess they want to make a cool bass and they can't expect it to be a big seller. I can't imagien, 32"or 34".

If you see the design and you think bass my first worry was the balance. That must be the or a reason. 

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
The design of the St Vincent is heavily influenced by the Firebird.
The bass guitar version would be a take on the Thunderbird.
And yes, the Thunderbird had an issue with balance. But the latest versions don't have any neckdive problems anymore. So I guess a St Vincent bass could be 34" scale without neckdive, if they use the right tuners.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:56:29 AM by Basvarken »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »
Because she appreciates the trouble other small-handed folks have chording on long scales.  Medium scale is welcome over here.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:45:14 AM »
You are right, Rob. Still, because the strap button is more to the right instead around the 12th fret, a shorter scale makes sense. I always think the Tbird is the most desired-but-sold-again-cos-I-couldn't-get-used-to-it bass because of the different way it needs to be played :)

I don't think she will play it. Maybe one for her studio. She hopes Pino (who's on her last record) will play it. It's just her design as a bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
I stopped by a Guitar Center today, they had two of the guitars in stock -- one a USA Musicman, the other a Sterling by MM. I had no idea the body was that small.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
I love medium scale and I think it's best of both worlds, rather than fish nor flesh. But that's a matter of taste. And you are right: most people want a 34" and a Fender design. I guess they want to make a cool bass and they can't expect it to be a big seller. I can't imagien, 32"or 34".

If you see the design and you think bass my first worry was the balance. That must be the or a reason.

Nonsense. 32" already robs you of a taut and dominant E string sound, yet doesn't compensate with an especially bendable and full-sounding D and G. Worst of both worlds. A strings are ok irrespective of scale, different, but all ok.

"If you see the design and you think bass my first worry was the balance. That must be the or a reason."

Girlie hands.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 06:06:11 AM »
Nonsense. 32" already robs you of a taut and dominant E string sound, yet doesn't compensate with an especially bendable and full-sounding D and G. Worst of both worlds. A strings are ok irrespective of scale, different, but all ok.

Come on man, its not the '70s any more. Strings are built to all sorts of different specs now, and you can get a balanced set for a 32'' instrument.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 07:11:40 AM »
32" is perfect. Cos as you know anything between 33 and 45 is wrong, Uwe.