Author Topic: Warwick goes The Wife / Gibson.  (Read 2350 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Warwick goes The Wife / Gibson.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »
Without a doubt a well crafted instrument.
But I just can't get over that shape and those tuners.  :-X

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
That big chrome mud-clone looks out of place. And the wood tuners and inlays are not my thing, but apparently a lot of people like that sort of thing. And if you're going to do wood back plates, do it right -

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
White ebony? What? That's like saying "white black." Genus and species, please.

It looks odd but I'd rather see that than yet another P/J.  OTOH I'd be a little concerned about a long scale korina neck.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:11:05 AM »
Maybe they're using the heart of "Black & White Ebony" -  Diospyros malabarica.   The heart can have sections of light tan that could be big enough for a fingerboard.

Cordoba makes a guitar using it as back and sides, really pretty.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »
I see they do an "EB-0" too....

Apparently those MEC humbuckers/singlecoils (??) are nothing like mudbuckers beyond the looks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
Maybe they're using the heart of "Black & White Ebony" -  Diospyros malabarica.   The heart can have sections of light tan that could be big enough for a fingerboard.

Cordoba makes a guitar using it as back and sides, really pretty.

From what I've seen, only the sapwood would be that light tan all through. IMHO that wouldn't be suitable for a fretboard, especially on a korina neck.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 02:07:20 PM »
Aren't those big chrome suckers single coils?
Louder bass!.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
Aren't those big chrome suckers single coils?

I believe they are, and quite bright sounding at that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ozsa7eXzLs

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:41:11 AM »
Pickup:

Those are big single coils with a coil per pole peace. They are based on an old Framus design and I love those pickups. In the Jack Bruce and Star they give a big, warm, round but open sound in neck position and the bridge pickups (which I normally hate and not use) are more in Fender neck territory. So those basses are very versatile. Warm, open, still growly (stiff necks) and fat in the neck and Fender P-ish (*) at the bridge.
(*) Of course not really Fender P-ish cos set neck (Star) or neck through (JB) but comparable.
Warwick also makes a splittable humbucker in the same housing with double rows of polepieces, which is used in the single cut Star Bass. I like that one less than the big single coil.

Ebony: Most part of this three is white with the same sound. Most manifacturers only buy the black ebony and the white is left in the forrest. Warwick buys whole tree lumps and use all. See this one for a combined fingerboard. Part is white and part black, but one piece! I don't like it personally but I can image some people do.

http://warwick.de/en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Basic-Bass-Models--Streamer--Streamer-Stage-I--Streamer-Stage-I-5-String--Streamer-Stage-I---17-3379--5-string--Pictures.html

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
I see they do an "EB-0" too....

Apparently those MEC humbuckers/singlecoils (??) are nothing like mudbuckers beyond the looks.

That's kinda nifty in a Gibson-meets-Spector sort of way. And only 21 frets, which is perfect.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 02:24:33 PM »
"Jawohl, das ist Billy Sheehan's Frau."

I say beware! These are the same people that lied to us about the Diesels too.  :-X
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:30:51 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
Lying about diesel engines, invading The Netherlands, making David Hasselhoff big, the Audi A2, the Höfner control panel (both controls set to ON is both pickups OFF), Heino and the makers of the smallest, thinnest book ever (The Big Book Of German Humour).

Germans....

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
Lying about diesel engines, invading The Netherlands, making David Hasselhoff big, the Audi A2, the Höfner control panel (both controls set to ON is both pickups OFF), Heino and the makers of the smallest, thinnest book ever (The Big Book Of German Humour).

Germans....

The Big Book of WHAT??? :P :P :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
Those are big single coils with a coil per pole peace. They are based on an old Framus design and I love those pickups.

Is that the chrome double bass pickup design that mounted right down at the end of the fretboard and was shaped to match? Any chance of a Bi-Sonic reissue from Warwick/Hagstrom? :mrgreen:

Germans....

And those toilets that are designed so that you can inspect your stool in intense detail. Presumably all Germans carry around a small pocketbook and note down the key attributes of their morning dump. Perverts.

What is this?