Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Young Polish Talent (probably a relative of Jake)

(1/7) > >>

uwe:

I couldn't do that.

The cross-legged part I mean.

She plays HOs too ...

Highlander:
I know some pretty nice Ho's...

(sure she's been posted here before, somewhere)

Granny Gremlin:
Kinga is a very popular name (in my generation at least) - that's not her but I do have a cousin with that name (until recently lived in Berlin, now living it up on some Mediterranean island; been meaning to speak to her actually).... Now only if my parents were a little more diligent about paying attention to what I am/was into, they could have got me married off to a nice Polka like this as they always wanted, instead they kept trying to match me up with ... I don't even know what they were thinking to be honest.

Anyway, she's pretty damn good, but I hate that trebly jazz tone - why can't electric jazz bass be mellow, like ever?  Especially when the arrangement is nice and sparse so cutting though isn't a problem.

I see good things happening musically in Poland, and it makes me happy (it was grim for a while, especially as regards gear, but now one of the most acoustically advanced studios and quite a few highly regarded pro audio gear makers are there).  ... I do worry, in a similar way to how I worried about the social over-correction after communism (hyper-Americanisation/consumerisation; it was really weird for a bit - kids wearing suits to class and shit) that there is too much focus on the mainstrem - classical/jazz/pop and not much trickling down to the sorts of musics that I love most and feel are a necessary balance in a society's musical portfolio.

uwe:
Her tone is much less trebly (popular among jazz players for all that harmonics playing they do) and actually even mellow with that long scale bolt-on mock-SG bass (which could possibly be a Greco?) in that second vid.

I find it amazing that apparently

she

doesn't

slap

at

all!  ???

bassilisk:
Uwe, that just illustrates just how pervasive that has become. You clearly have a some real breadth of familiarity with many genres and styles, but it seems to be more common than not.

I don't slap, and I don't feel like there's a gaping hole in what and how I play. Upon occasion people have come to me after a show and expressed a positive response to what I played, but never once has someone said, Gee that was pretty good but you should really slap more....

I admire the chops it takes to be a good slapper, meaning not just flurries of notes for the sake of it (which seems to be the dominant form of display) but inserted in a musical way that enhances the song. Lawdy, sometimes I walk into GC or Sam Ash and it's like walking into note blizzard. I often stop and wonder, can that person cut a groove into Mustang Sally, or James Brown?

I dig her because she doesn't need to slap. Like Jeff Berlin. I couldn't carry either of their lunches in any case, but I'm okay with not having that particular skill set. I manage with what I got and we still rock. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version